CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging system problem AGAIN

brianmacza

My '97 has a disturbing set of symptoms. Riding through heavy traffic naturally pushes the temp up, and the radiator fan comes on almost fulltime for about 20 minutes or more on most days riding home from work. I don't yet have a voltmeter connected to see what the voltage is doing, but the total voltage goes down to a point where the revcounter and speedo stop working.

I have tested the stator and the R1 RR and both appear to be within limits. The battery is pretty new (~ 6 months old) and seems to hold a chare ok. With the engine running, the voltage across the terminals at ~4000RPM goes up to 13.6V and stabilises - with main and highbeam on, and the fan overridden to make it run at the same time, voltage drops only very slightly.

So... the stator impedences are within limits between the 3 poles. The voltage AC put out between poles is about 58V AC (across all 3 tested every which way). The R1 RR seems to be fine. The battery seems OK.

Could it be a crap earth? Could the high temps be causing the stator or RR to fail intermittently? The bike never gets to cooking - no boiling over. I KNOW its how 'cos the guage says so and my legs get cooked.

Heat I can handle... a crap charging system scares me.

HEEEEEeeeeeelllllp!