CBR1100XX.org Forum

Needles and seats getting worn at 80k?

bartonmd

Had the same issue a few times recently, where if I don't let the thing idle for a few seconds sitting straight up, then off for a few seconds straight up, before going onto the side stand, it'll fire up on all cylinders, then a couple seconds later, drop one... Has also started up on choke and ran fine as I pulled to the end of my driveway, then set it on the side stand to close the gate, and it drops the one cylinder, again... Every time it's happened, it's come back to running on all 4 cylinders within 1/4 mile of taking off...

So have you seen float needles and seats need replacement at 80k miles?

I tried seafoam, but it didn't help.

Before I order anything, I'll pull the carbs and clean that area very well, but have you ever seen this start around 80k?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd be more inclined to look at plugs - my '97 went through something fairly similar and it was the plugs fouling (the iridium plugs had done 60k miles before they caved) - my bike has done just under 150,000km

Must say that performance came back with the new plugs - I hadn't noticed a degradation of performance, but the change was immediately noticeable.

Eh, runs fine, otherwise...

These are the irridium plugs that I put in ~25k ago...

Only when it's on the side stand, running, and when I just shut it off and put it on the side stand... and then only sometimes... If I start it sitting straightup, and let it sit straight up at idle for 10 seconds, and let it sit straight up for 10 seconds after I shut if off, never an issue...

I do have new plugs on order, though, and am going to get under there sometime this or next week and replace plugs, clean air filter, and clean carb needles and seats...

Mike