CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front brakes are rubbing the pads

KaziXX

Last week, I replaced my tires with Pirelli Angels. I noticed that the front pads we rubbing on the disk with the brakes off. So this weekend I replaced the front pads and drained and replace the brake fluid. Still the rubbing is there. I took off the calipers, pads and cleaned them and still no better. Any ideas? :icon_think:

Normal. As long as you can raise the front off the ground and get two or three rotations out of the tire when giving it a healthy spin, you're fine.

Yea! I thought I was in for a brake overhaul...

did you clean up your pins and calipers when you replaced the pads? Also take notice to the little keeper copper clips. i had one that had a tabs bent on it and made the brakes drag like crazy when I installed new pads. took a while to figure out what was causing it to drag,

some drag is normal though.

You know it is funny, for some things a little movement, warped rotors a few thousands, loose bearings torque in taper bearings, jam nut, tightness, etc, will move the pistons back in enough to loosen the drag. Makes the lever move more but if done correctly, makes for a faster vehicle.

We used to use drum brakes on the rear on drag vehicles to reduce the parasitic drag of disk brakes. And other things....

The only thing that pushes them in is the movement in the rotors. Ya know?

did you clean up your pins and calipers when you replaced the pads? Also take notice to the little keeper copper clips. i had one that had a tabs bent on it and made the brakes drag like crazy when I installed new pads. took a while to figure out what was causing it to drag,

some drag is normal though.

Yes sir, I cleaned the piston outer area as well - there was some crud that took a little extra scrubbing with a cloth and brake cleaner to get off. I used new brake lubricant on the slides also. I finally decided to re-bleed the system and fill it up again - just to be sure the lines were clean. Then I checked the fluid coming out and there wasn't any particles but it was cloudy - I figured that was the air particles getting trapped in the fluid. What fun!

You know it is funny, for some things a little movement, warped rotors a few thousands, loose bearings torque in taper bearings, jam nut, tightness, etc, will move the pistons back in enough to loosen the drag. Makes the lever move more but if done correctly, makes for a faster vehicle.

We used to use drum brakes on the rear on drag vehicles to reduce the parasitic drag of disk brakes. And other things....

The only thing that pushes them in is the movement in the rotors. Ya know?

Do you think that over time they will have less friction and roll easier? The bike had only 7,500 miles on it when I purchased it in April. I have 17,700 on it now. Should I look at replacing the wheel bearings anytime soon?

Oh yeah, when they bed in the alignment makes it much better,,,,less drag.

Check it again after they do have some miles on them. Doubt there is any drag. But, if you can tell that there is a little more movement in the lever, check the bearings, replace them when it has any movement side to side that you can tell. Excess play in the bearings move the pads away from the rotors and make the lever move more to take up the slack. Make sence?

New pads and rotors have to match alignment,,, called bedding in.

When you put the new front tire, do you tight the front axe correctly, I mean, in the secuence as it should be done?

With the wheel in the air, tight the main axe, and the RIGHT pitch bolts.

Then, put the front in the floor, press the front brake and bump 4 or 5 times to align the pads with the rotors.

Then, always with the front brake pressed, tighten the LEFT pitch bolts.

If you did all that with the wheel in the air or in the floor, the pads will probably drag the rotor.

My 2 cents. :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...