CBR1100XX.org Forum

***updated Had to happen bike broke down...

cecome

on my way to get k&n chemicals...200 feet before I get into the parking lot the tach and speedo die then bounce all over the place, bike was running but nothing on the gages...rode the bike into the lot. would not start battery was too weak, gave it a push start and all seemed fine for about a minute then it started bogging and there is not enough juice in the battery to turn the engine. had AAA tow it home...ready to do what I have to but need proper advice...thanks in advance for the feedback. Battery is a couple months old and been getting regular use.

*****after all was said and done I am getting nothing from the stator 0 volts when bike is running and I check across the yellow wires at the r/r.....any chance I'm missing something here before I fork over 140 for a ricks?*****

on my way to get k&n chemicals...200 feet before I get into the parking lot the tach and speedo die then bounce all over the place, bike was running but nothing on the gages...rode the bike into the lot. would not start battery was too weak, gave it a push start and all seemed fine for about a minute then it started bogging and there is not enough juice in the battery to turn the engine. had AAA tow it home...ready to do what I have to but need proper advice...thanks in advance for the feedback. Battery is a couple months old and been getting regular use.

Do a quick search for charging system problems or checks...There are a number here...somewhere. Mine did the same thing and if ya can't find it, I'll rewrite it but briefly, the red plug at the starter relay melted. I ran auxiliary wires bypassing it and its been fine. I replaced the battery, the R/R and checked the stator..all good but still no charge at the battery.

Thanks very much to all that have been so helpful. I will get the battery dealt with and pick up a DMM to measure volts and possibly ohms. Not a scientist but you guys make it easy enough that even the technically challenged can do it. Could have been worse could have died in traffic and caused some real safety issues. Glad I didn't do a long ride today.

Update:

Thanks everybody for the help on this.

Battery was taken back to Batteries Plus to be charged (don't have a charger)

Had about 6 volts when he bench tested it

Will not hold a charge

Going now to get replacement for free under warranty

Tested the 3 yellow wires and had about 1.3 to 1.5 ohms on all 6 tests

Got nothing from yellow wires to ground

Will put battery back in bike and get a reading from the battery terminals when running to see what happens next.

BTW Harbor Freight has a DMM on sale right now for about 3 bucks!!!! almost the grocery store cost of the 9v that came in it.

More to follow.

OK so got the new battery and put it in checked the volts about 12.5 with bike off, started bike ran it up to about 5-6k and the battery is @ 12.05, going to need to read through the other posts but it looks like stater is OK and maybe the r/r is simply dead maybe shorted out or something. Any quick answers may save me some time if I am going to order a r/r today!!!

Check voltage on the 3 leads from the stator...at idle and at 4-5000 rpm's

Check the 4 wires to the red plug at the starter relay for burned connectors...

You can run jumpers from the +(red) and -(green) on the reg/rec to the battery and check it again. This eliminates the 4 connections at the red plug on the starter relay.

Lastly, reg/rec...

Check voltage on the 3 leads from the stator...at idle and at 4-5000 rpm's

Check the 4 wires to the red plug at the starter relay for burned connectors...

You can run jumpers from the +(red) and -(green) on the reg/rec to the battery and check it again. This eliminates the 4 connections at the red plug on the starter relay.

Lastly, reg/rec...

nothing comming out of the stator checked all 3 leads at idle and at 5-6 k my guess is no juice means bad stator...thanks for the feedback.

Order the R/R.

thanks man I appreciate the help!!!

stator was my first guess, usually a faulty r/r will overcharge not all the time but the majority.

Dont order it from bike bandit they generally take a 1/2 week just to get your order ready then shipping time on top of that

When you tested stator output, did you put the probes of the volt meter between 2 legs of the stator, then between 2 more and then the final pair? You should have gotten 40-50 volts at 5000 RPM IIRC...

stator was my first guess, usually a faulty r/r will overcharge not all the time but the majority.

Dont order it from bike bandit they generally take a 1/2 week just to get your order ready then shipping time on top of that

thanks I think I found one on e-bay just need to see if they can quick ship it so I can get it on wednesday what Ricks stator comes in.

When you tested stator output, did you put the probes of the volt meter between 2 legs of the stator, then between 2 more and then the final pair? You should have gotten 40-50 volts at 5000 RPM IIRC...

yep checked all 6 combinations on the yellow wires 0 volts everywhere, please let me know if I did this correctly the writeup I saw said only the yellow wires...

Not sure on your DMM but make sure you measure Volts AC when checking the stator not Volts DC. Some do it automatically most you need to change it to read AC. If in doubt try your house hold socket.

wow what a difference that mighht make thanks I will run to the garage right now, I have been checking vdc

Not sure on your DMM but make sure you measure Volts AC when checking the stator not Volts DC. Some do it automatically most you need to change it to read AC. If in doubt try your house hold socket.

wow what a difference that mighht make thanks I will run to the garage right now, I have been checking vdc

OK got about 70 from the stator when I went ac @5K thanks a bunch time to cancel the order

OK got about 70 from the stator when I went ac @5K thanks a bunch saved me lots of time and dough!! order cancelled and rick's r/r on it's way!!!!