CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adjustable forks for Bird??

plonkey

I have been doing a little reading and found that a common mod for the VFR is to fit cartridges fron a F3 or F4i giving much more front end adjustibility.

Is this possible for the Bird as well.

A suspension guy told me he could use the F$ internals and give me adjustment for both rebound and compression as well as preload by setting one side for rebound and the other for compression.

Anyone have any comment on this?

The new R1 is set like that as is the Triumph Tiger and there are probably others that I am unfamiliar with too.

I really want a fully adjustable front, without losing the CBS.

I wonder if the internals from any other Showa fork with 20mm internals would do the same job??

I have been doing a little reading and found that a common mod for the VFR is to fit cartridges fron a F3 or F4i giving much more front end adjustibility.

Is this possible for the Bird as well.

A suspension guy told me he could use the F$ internals and give me adjustment for both rebound and compression as well as preload by setting one side for rebound and the other for compression.

Anyone have any comment on this?

The new R1 is set like that as is the Triumph Tiger and there are probably others that I am unfamiliar with too.

I really want a fully adjustable front, without losing the CBS.

I wonder if the internals from any other Showa fork with 20mm internals would do the same job??

try searching, a lot of info in the history.

IMO, you don't need adjustability (unless you're actually racing, and doing it on tracks that vary dramatically), you need suspension set up right... springs/valves/shock...

Since doing my forks, I've not wanted for an adjustable front end... Adjustments are almost needed on the rear end, due to the changes between having a passenger and luggage, and riding solo...

Mike

• 1 month later...
IMO, you don't need adjustability (unless you're actually racing, and doing it on tracks that vary dramatically), you need suspension set up right... springs/valves/shock...

Since doing my forks, I've not wanted for an adjustable front end... Adjustments are almost needed on the rear end, due to the changes between having a passenger and luggage, and riding solo...

Mike

I had my forks revalved and experimented with spring ratings (I like .9kg RaceTech as opposed to 1kg) and use RaceTech 5 weight synthetic oil. After dialing in the preload spacer length, I didn't do anything else to them.

That was 28000 miles ago. The ride and handling is excellent for my needs. Especially with the Penske shock from HARD Racing.

I'd heard about using the adjustable lowers too, but when I checked with my suspension guy, (PPS Suspension) he didn't think it would work, because you need the lower fork legs as well as the internals.

If you do that, you lose the ability to mount the brakes, and the BlackBird fender.

He just set spring rates and damping up per my weight and intended riding style, and he matched them to the Penske shock he also set up for me. He spent a lot of time reducing stiction in the forks. After I mounted the forks and shock, I checked the sag, and it was dead on. The suspension worked great, and except for normal maintaince, I never messed with it again.