CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine Vibration

XXNUTZ

I know this topic has been brought up several times but I'm lost a little bit...I've got a bad vibration from 3k and up that's so annoying, it literally rattles the bike and makes my nuts vibrate...I've checked the balancers per the instructions I found on here and still the same...what are the other possibilities that could make this engine vibrate so much...my buddies 97 is smooth as glass and that's what it's supposed to be like right? All I've done as far as engine history is changed the plugs at 16k, put Two Bros. slip ons on it and a new CCT, the vibe was there before too...it runs good, plenty of power, idles fine and no hesitation in throttle response, carbs, ignition, valve adjustment, I'm lost...doesn't matter if it's sitting still or I'm riding, really feel it in my hands. Thinking of taking some temp readings on the header pipes to see if all 4 are at the same temp range...any help is appreciated...cheers.

If the motor has been into the front balancer is easy to get off 180. And will do that.

plugs maybe for sure. Start and run for one minite and wet your finger, touch each pipe as it comes out of the motor. hell ten seconds will heat them enough.

25% higher power!

Not sure if the motor has been opened, I don't think so...when I checked the balancers, I used a stethescope to listen to the noises while turning the adjusters...all 3 sounded the same...how can I tell if the front one is 180 off??

Well, pull the pan off and you can see it and fix it. I would have to confirm, everything with the book, but at top dead center number one there is a mark on the balancer and the case that lines up, and a builder might mistake a casting line for the mark which will make it vibrate like that. Mine did. And I fixed it.

But, put it off till you check the others first.

Has it always been this way?

It is not that hard to do and it is easy to get wrong, but check the easy stuff first, plugs, missing, coils. Read the book about it. But, mainly to know it can be done from the pan. It would not surprise me that it could be done from the factory.