CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pillion Peg Swap/Query

Para045

As in the heading I am wondering whether there are any of you guys that have had/still have an XX and an ST1300 :icon_surprised: I have been tossing about the possibility of swapping the pillion pegs out on my 98 XX for something more comfortable for my missus as she always complains of the small peg digging into her arch :icon_think:

I had hoped that Dave's lowering blocks would work but unfortunately not :icon_frown: I have also looked at the Buell peg mod and was out today at the local Honda dealership and there was an XX and an 09 ST1300 sitting side by side. So I was looking at the ST and noticed that the ST has a much wider/slightly longer and rubber covered pillion peg and the angle and size of the mounting looked very similar so what I was wondering was whether they may interchange? :icon_think:

So I was wondering whether anyone on here that has an ST has ever tried to swap the pillion pegs to an XX or if someone actually HAS both would there be any chance of measuring or even trying to swap them over? :icon_rolleyes: I did ask the guy at the shop but he wasn't going to let me start swapping pegs, especially on a new ST, didn't even really want me to measure them :icon_snooty:

He did look through a book for aftermarket parts and found some stuff designed for the Honda Cruisers like the VTX that may have fitted up but they worked out at around $500AUD :icon_eek: They were also more like boards which while it might have been great for the missus's feet wouldn't have been practical NOT to mention fuckin ugly :icon_duh:

EDIT: Like these for the VTX 21-426T.jpg

I don't have an ST1300, so I don't know what the pillion pegs look like, but I do know that quite a few Honda model's pegs are interchangeable. For instance, my Frankenbike has 2000 XX pegs on a 600rr right rearset and a 929 left rearset.

I'm also pretty sure that you can put the driver's pegs on the pillion mounts as well. It might even be possible to retain the ball detent parts so that the pegs will stay up instead of spring down, but you'd just have to experiment with it to find out, as I've never tried it.

So, you could just pick up some XX pegs and use them for her. As you may know, the newer XX pegs are a little more slender than the earlier models, but still have the rubber pads and would look pretty decent on the pillion mounts, IMO. OR if you are really pussy-whipped (or just want her to shut the hell up), you could just swap pegs with her. :icon_wink:

I don't have an ST1300, so I don't know what the pillion pegs look like, but I do know that quite a few Honda model's pegs are interchangeable. For instance, my Frankenbike has 2000 XX pegs on a 600RR right rearset and a 929 left rearset.

I'm also pretty sure that you can put the driver's pegs on the pillion mounts as well. It might even be possible to retain the ball detent parts so that the pegs will stay up instead of spring down, but you'd just have to experiment with it to find out, as I've never tried it.

So, you could just pick up some XX pegs and use them for her. As you may know, the newer XX pegs are a little more slender than the earlier models, but still have the rubber pads and would look pretty decent on the pillion mounts, IMO. OR if you are really pussy-whipped (or just want her to shut the hell up), you could just swap pegs with her. :icon_wink:

Yeah I did think of trying the XX pegs but the size isn't that much different although it does have the rubber, the ST pegs are much larger area and have thicker/softer rubber from looking and as there was a few on here with ST's and XX's I thought it may be something someone could suss out for me :icon_think:

Certainly wouldn't be buying them new though, the dealer quoted me ~$300AUD for the ST pegs (+ rubbers/pins etc not mounts) :icon_duh: Not too worried about them folding back up either as I usually don't bother putting them up if they are down :icon_eh:

As far as being whipped, if I want her to shut up I just pop the front wheel up a few times and she stops talking to me :icon_clap:

As far as being whipped, if I want her to shut up I just pop the front wheel up a few times and she stops talking to me :icon_clap:

So when you wear your "If you can read this, the bitch fell off" shirt, you really mean it. :icon_eek:

Like I said, I don't know what the ST pegs look like, but I'd have to say that if they look like they'll work, then I'd be willing to bet that they probably will. Hopefully someone with both bikes will be willing to test it for you. Otherwise you'll just have to try to find a used pair cheap and give it a try.

Good luck with it.

I have both bikes and I can check it out but I am trying to get ready to go camping tomorrow for 4 days so it will be Tuesday before I can get to it.

I have both bikes and I can check it out but I am trying to get ready to go camping tomorrow for 4 days so it will be Tuesday before I can get to it.

"Camping" Eh :icon_evilgrin: Sounds like fun :icon_biggrin: Mate if you could try that and tell me how the ST peg switches across and looks on the XX that would be great :icon_biggrin:

From doing a bit of web surfing on various sites I found THIS which seems to indicate that at lest the actual mounts dimension is the same BUT it is also the angle of the peg once on that will be a factor as the Kuryakyn pegs are adjustable :icon_think: No use having the pegs in the mounts if they are at a 45 deg angle :icon_rolleyes:

I don't mind if I need to tickle the pegs a little to get them to fit the mounts to fold etc like I did with Dave's lowering blocks but they need to be close to level :icon_surprised:

Oh and whenever you can get to it is fine, it's something I have been meaning to do for a while but as our spring has just started the good riding weather (well for pillioning anyway) is coming :icon_dance:

I think that link answers your question. I'd be willing to bet that the angle of the mount is the same for all of the bikes listed based on my experience with putting XX pegs on both the 600rr and 929 rearsets (those are all at the same angle).

Obviously, wait until alf03 tries it, but I'm 99.999% sure it will work. Like I said before, the only difference will be the ball detent vs. spring.

Good luck and post pics of them on when you're done.

I think that link answers your question. I'd be willing to bet that the angle of the mount is the same for all of the bikes listed based on my experience with putting XX pegs on both the 600RR and 929 rearsets (those are all at the same angle).

Obviously, wait until alf03 tries it, but I'm 99.999% sure it will work. Like I said before, the only difference will be the ball detent vs. spring.

Good luck and post pics of them on when you're done.

Will do some pics if I can get it sussed out and find some pegs at a wrecker/eBay etc (the next challenge as I don't really want to try new at ~$300 :icon_eek: )

Not even that fussed if the peg doesn't fold, as I could just use a cotter pin instead of a split pin and just swap them over when the missus is on for a long ride :icon_think:

May also look into the MC Larry passenger lowering blocks if I can find the pegs and determine whether they will work :icon_confused:

Just got the chance to swap pegs and the ST peg works on the Bird. The detent also works to hold the peg up. Here are some pics of the pegs together with the mounting pin and the ST peg on the Bird.

post-3594-1253371239.jpg

post-3594-1253371276.jpg

post-3594-1253371327.jpg

post-3594-1253371393.jpg

post-3594-1253371440.jpg

post-3594-1253371460.jpg

Just got the chance to swap pegs and the ST peg works on the Bird. The detent also works to hold the peg up. Here are some pics of the pegs together with the mounting pin and the ST peg on the Bird.

Just a quick question, as I don't see where you have specified: are those the ST rider pegs or pillion pegs? Thx.

Thanks mate :icon_biggrin: Those pics are awesome and help enormously, the missus will love it :icon_evilgrin:

Looks like now I just have to locate some second hand pegs :icon_eh:

Just one other thing if I may ask? In your opinion would they foul on the exhausts if mounted on these blocks? :icon_think:

ST1300PFPB-S_02.jpg, ST1300PFPB-S_03.jpg

How much do they move the pillion peg? From the mounting pin on the existing peg as the starting position Forward horizontally by 2 1/2" Out perpendicular to the bike by 1 " (25 mm) This point will drop vertically by 3" (75 mm)

I realize it is a bit of a guess but I am thinking they WILL foul the exhausts :icon_confused:

I am in the process of installing some passenger peg extenders that might work a bit better than the standard peg lowering brackets.

These were originally designed for the Honda bikes but were adapted quickly by the FJR crowd. The difference is that they not only move the passenger pegs downward,but, they also relocate the pegs outward, too. This allows the passenger more room to get their knees around the riders lower back/waist/ass, and at the same time allow the rider the flexibility of riding on the balls of their feet without hitting the toes of the passenger boots. They also clear the majority of the slip on designs and keep the passenger from melting their boot heels on the exhaust.

I should be installing a slightly modified set on my bird shortly and will post the pics, ASAP. I have installed Kuryakyn adapters and replacement pegs on mine. You can fold them up two different ways.

They do not retain the ball detent feature and use a wave (spring) washer to keep the tension on the hinge points.

I would be happy to loan these to a board member with access to a CNC operator so as to be able to replicate them for the forum members while tweaking them to be a bit more XX specific and keep the ball detent mechanism feature.

They are the pillion pegs from my 04ST. They swap out with no mods. I can't give you a answer about factory exhaust but it looks like it could be close to my yoshi slipons, but that is just a guess.

They are the pillion pegs from my 04ST. They swap out with no mods. I can't give you a answer about factory exhaust but it looks like it could be close to my Yoshi slipon's, but that is just a guess.

Yeah that was all I really wanted/thought myself was your feelings on the clearance as from looking at your pics and pics of my bike they look like they might have clearance issues :icon_confused:

These ones of Toynut sound promising :icon_surprised: Are they a readily available lowering bracket Toynut or are they hard to get hold of?

They sound similar to the MC Larry ones in the pics in as far as his move the legs out as well as down and forward :icon_surprised:

They are the pillion pegs from my 04ST. They swap out with no mods. I can't give you a answer about factory exhaust but it looks like it could be close to my Yoshi slipon's, but that is just a guess.

Yeah that was all I really wanted/thought myself was your feelings on the clearance as from looking at your pics and pics of my bike they look like they might have clearance issues :icon_confused:

These ones of Toynut sound promising :icon_surprised: Are they a readily available lowering bracket Toynut or are they hard to get hold of?

They sound similar to the MC Larry ones in the pics in as far as his move the legs out as well as down and forward :icon_surprised:

They are available on line for about $80.00 IIRC. I installed a couple of short button head screws on the ends to allow me to dial in the peg angle a bit more precisely.

I have the package and the slip in my office and I will get the information up shortly (along with pics).

One point that I should mention, by positioning the passenger pegs outboard of the rider, they may become the outermost projection on the bike in case of a low side (other than the bars or side cases). I don't think that should be cause for alarm, but it needs to be noted.

• 5 months later...
They are available on line for about $80.00 IIRC. I installed a couple of short button head screws on the ends to allow me to dial in the peg angle a bit more precisely.

I have the package and the slip in my office and I will get the information up shortly (along with pics).

Still waiting :icon_whistle::icon_smile:

One point that I should mention, by positioning the passenger pegs outboard of the rider, they may become the outermost projection on the bike in case of a low side (other than the bars or side cases). I don't think that should be cause for alarm, but it needs to be noted.

Finally got mine fitted a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to get the missus on the back as she finds riding in 30c+ temps too hot :icon_think:

I finally got a set from a Havoc Cycles on eBay for ~$83AUD shipped, fitted them the next day :icon_smile:

They did mount up straight away BUT they didn't sit perfectly flat, they stayed up slightly on an angle so I needed to file some off the end of the peg where is butts against the inside of the mount and also needed to elongate the detent hole in the plate on the locking mechanism so that they would sit flat (about 3/4 hrs work) :icon_think:

Will be interested to see Toynuts peg extenders :icon_surprised:

1 & 2 are pre filing, 3 is after filing, 4 & 5 are folded up and 6 is down from the side :icon_wink:

post-2722-1268312234.jpg

post-2722-1268312282.jpg

post-2722-1268312343.jpg

post-2722-1268312431.jpg

post-2722-1268313174.jpg

post-2722-1268313263.jpg

• 1 year later...