CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID ballasts got fried

brianmacza

I installed a new alternator doodad about a month ago... all seemed peachy.

Today I got the mystic puff of blue smoke out the front of the fairing and both ballasts are dead... the RR died and the voltage surge killed my HIDs.

Have put in the new RR and new halogen bulbs, but it isn't the same :(

I installed a new alternator doodad about a month ago... all seemed peachy.

Today I got the mystic puff of blue smoke out the front of the fairing and both ballasts are dead... the RR died and the voltage surge killed my HIDs.

Have put in the new RR and new halogen bulbs, but it isn't the same :(

How old is the fried ballst?

My 35w HID system has been transplanted on many different motos since 2003, currently on a 250cc Chinese scooter, that has over 10,400 miles on it most of while with HID operating. Mine is not a slim ballast, but I do have other 55w slim ballast HID systems on other motos, I wonder how long they will last.

The ballasts were 4 years old, more or less... the manual gives its operating voltage as "9V to 16V DC" and the spike when the RR crapped was probably 17V or more... It wasn't an age issue - it was Honda's fucking miserable RR design :icon_twisted:

No wonder they have reverted to scooters and commuters - rubber straps, CCT's and RR are whats draggin' them down on REAL bikes.

I'm about to have two extra ballasts from these guys (35w ballasts):

https://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?pcsid=n...ent=61&pg=1

lemme know if you want em / think they would work for you.

[i bought the double set but failed to specify 55w instead of 35w ... ordered a new set w/ 55w & will have the 35w left over]

I'm about to have two extra ballasts from these guys (35w ballasts):

https://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?pcsid=n...ent=61&pg=1

lemme know if you want em / think they would work for you.

[i bought the double set but failed to specify 55w instead of 35w ... ordered a new set w/ 55w & will have the 35w left over]

I'm interested if the OP isn't. Will add one to my KLR and 1 on my ATV

im gonna have an hid bulb (replacement for an H7) to go with each of the two 35w ballasts too. got two new sets that just came in today, but im only swapping the ballasts for the brighter 55w & they come with the new hid bulbs.

the 35w ballasts will have about 1 hr on them & bulbs will be NIB

im gonna have an hid bulb (replacement for an H7) to go with each of the two 35w ballasts too. got two new sets that just came in today, but im only swapping the ballasts for the brighter 55w & they come with the new hid bulbs.

the 35w ballasts will have about 1 hr on them & bulbs will be NIB

I spoke to one of the guys at DDM about their kits (I bought several from them). The 55 watt kit uses the same bulbs as the 35 watt kit.

That being the case, I take it you can upgrade by just swapping the ballasts. The light color will end up being somewhat higher up the Kelvin scale (appear whiter) as the stock bulbs will be overdriven (electrically speaking) by the 55 watt ballasts. Either way, the 55 watt kits are super bright! :icon_shocked: