CBR1100XX.org Forum

Starting problem with a 2000 Blazer 4.3 V-6

slowrideCX

I am having trouble with my Blazer starting after the motor is warmed up. It cranks over for a very long time before it will start. When it sits over night it starts up fine only gives me trouble when it has been running.

The truck only has about 85k on it and was fine till about 2 months ago when the battery shorted out.

Any thoughts???? I am just trying to get a few ideas before I go nuts testing this thing.

Thanks in advance for your help......

I am having trouble with my Blazer starting after the motor is warmed up. It cranks over for a very long time before it will start. When it sits over night it starts up fine only gives me trouble when it has been running.

The truck only has about 85k on it and was fine till about 2 months ago when the battery shorted out.

Any thoughts???? I am just trying to get a few ideas before I go nuts testing this thing.

Thanks in advance for your help......

Id check the fuel pump pressure cold/hot.

I thought about that, do you think it could be the fuel regulator?

It seems to run ok once it starts. I didn't mention it seems to have a slightly rough idle not bad just not smooth like it should be.

I just got this truck last friday as my daily driver when I bought my wife a new Altima so I am getting to see what it does first hand now.

Thanks for you input.

Very common problem with them is the regulator and fuel lines, located under the intake, leak...

Check for the smell of gas in the oil and if so, the "octopus" is NG...(Reg and lines)

Hank

I thought about that, do you think it could be the fuel regulator?

It seems to run ok once it starts. I didn't mention it seems to have a slightly rough idle not bad just not smooth like it should be.

I just got this truck last friday as my daily driver when I bought my wife a new Altima so I am getting to see what it does first hand now.

Thanks for you input.

Chances are pretty good that it is. It has a central injector under the manifold that has 6 plastic lines that go to each cylinder. The injector goes bad and or the lines crack, leak and cause rough idle, run poorly, and no start eventually.

you could lift the manifold up and turn the key on to pressurerise the system and if its leaking you will see and smell the raw fuel.

Thanks guys..

I put it on the scanner today and everything checks out fine (no codes) so it has to be mechanical. I am trying my easiest step nexxt and crossing my fingers hoping for the best. I bought 2 bottles of Lucas fuel system cleaner and added them both to a half of a tank of fuel if that does not work then I am going to have one hell of a weekend project coming up. I am hoping the cleaner works and I am very optimistic cause I do not smell gas in the oil so I am thinking that the lines under the intake are ok . Going to test the fuel pressure tomorrow after work ... Wish me luck... :icon_whistle:

Thanks for the input I will keep you posted.

Thanks guys..

I put it on the scanner today and everything checks out fine (no codes) so it has to be mechanical. I am trying my easiest step nexxt and crossing my fingers hoping for the best. I bought 2 bottles of Lucas fuel system cleaner and added them both to a half of a tank of fuel if that does not work then I am going to have one hell of a weekend project coming up. I am hoping the cleaner works and I am very optimistic cause I do not smell gas in the oil so I am thinking that the lines under the intake are ok . Going to test the fuel pressure tomorrow after work ... Wish me luck... :icon_whistle:

Thanks for the input I will keep you posted.

I would get a manual on it not the chiltons but a factory service one. Sounds like you intend to keep her for a while longer. You may have a an injector coil going bad. There should be a proceedure for checking them in circuit. My son's 3.1 in his firebird was acting similar an that was the culrpit. You say you shorted a battery out hmm the symptoms you are describing almost sound like vapor lock but the injected motors shoudn't be as susceptible to it. I roger the fuel pump check you may have a weak pump or partially plugged filter. I would check the intank sock to I have seen them glaze over time restricting the pickup. These pumps can make pressure on the output but any restriction on the input will show up bigtime in your performance.

I checked the fuel pressureyesterday and it comes right up to about 62 psi with the motor off. Motor running it drops to about 50-52 which according to the manual is correct. Tap the throttle and the pressure jumps upto about 62-65 psi then back. when I shut iot down I can watch the pressure drop on the gauge. if I start it right back up it lights right off. After it sits for about 5-10 mins is will drop to about 15-20 psi and the engine will crank for several seconds before starting. If I manually bleed it down to 0 and try to start it the motor lights right off. I am hoping I don't have to pull the intake but my gut is telling me I my be heading in that direction. If I do have to do that I am going to look into the MFI conversion kit that they make to alliminate the CSFI unit. :icon_think:

Lets hope that the fuel cleaner works.

If I could afford the second car payment I would clunker that bitch in a heart beat!!!!!!!!!! :icon_twisted:

leaking injector.

What is the fix for that??? Changing the injector?? Is it possible that it may have dirt in it? :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

I really am not looking forward to pulling the intake off this turd!!!! :icon_mad:

I have blown backwards through them with air. but, you could take them out and to somebody that sonic cleans them. Might be the best. What I do might not be the best to tell somebody else to do.

Good luck, was just my impressoin from the read.

I really am not looking forward to pulling the intake off this turd!!!! :icon_mad:

Why not?

That's a common problem too... :icon_wall:

Why not.. It is a 10 hour repair for someone that has done it before which I have not...

I would rather go riding for 10 hours!!!!

I put about 25 miles on it last night and I am still keeping my fingers crossed but it seems to be starting easier the more I drive it so my overdose of fuel cleaner my be working. :icon_dance: :icon_pray: :icon_pray: :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

I will find out more this week cause we are taking it on vacation so I will put a few miles on it and see what happens..

Thanks guys I will keep you posted.

With that description, I would take a look at the crank- and cam sensor.

It had been seen that the signal are too small, and it don’t start when the engine is hot, and it does not necessarily place a fault code.

Good luck.

Daniel

I have put about 50 orso miles on since I added the fuel system cocktail and I am noticing a big difference in both the way it starts and the performance. I am thinking that it was just in despirate need of a good douching.... :icon_biggrin:

I have to fuel up tomorrow and I am going to add 2 more bottles of fuel cleaner. This time I am going to run Sea Foam. :icon_evilgrin:

Thank You for all your input....

Lets hope that the progress keeps in the right direction.