CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sonic Springs?

ROXX

I ran Sonic Springs on my VFR and the springs I bought from them and put in my VFR800 were way too stiff.

I used the ones they recommended on their chart according to my weight and riding style but they make the stock BBXX springs feel downright plush.

I will say their customer service was terrific.

I would like to hear from those of you running them on a BlackBird and get your impressions?

Your weight, riding style, spring weight, and oil viscosity.

Thanks

Are Sonic spring any different than the other springs on the market?

I was running Racetech 1.0's with 7.5w oil. 220lbs without gear. In retrospect, probably should have been 1.05's as I had to go pretty heavy on the preload to get my desired rider sag. Mildly aggressive street rider also did a lot of distance touring.

I always considered the XX's harshness more a valving issue than a question of spring rates. Did an oil change accompany the spring swap?

Ive just recently fitted sonic springs 1.00 to my bike.havnt had a chance to get it out on open roads yet but around town i can really notice an improvement.oil is 7.5 silkolene pro set at 115 as per the recomendation from sonic springs.the instructions come with them for cutting the spacers for preload.

I have 1.2kg/mm Sonic Springs in my XX (they are an ST1100 spring but the same dimensions as the XX ones only go to 1.1kg/mm :icon_surprised: ) and find them OK so far, certainly better than the bottoming out under hard braking from speed on bumpy roads I was getting due to my 135kg's (300lb) :icon_rolleyes:

The ride does sometimes feel a little harsh but I am not sure whether that is from the springs, oil or the damping as I replaced the forks at the same time with later (04) forks from a guy on OzBB that had Ohlins valves and he is a bit lighter (~105kg :icon_think: ) and also went down to 7.5w oil :icon_confused:

I went with the Sonics as the Racetech site said I needed ~1.15kg/mm springs and most places had nothing over 1.05kg/mm :icon_frown: Plus they were cheaper :icon_dance: