CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX Butter flies :D

lexxus

Not so much a sacrifice in power as in smoothness. A little plateau in HP, but it seems its more that the AF "wobbles" quite a bit more than stock with them out causing a noticable "mushiness" (not lag) in acceleration. AF goes rich then lean from 2500 to 3700 before leveling out again. I hear that's one reason they put them in ... to smooth out the lower end.

The following coversation took place at MotoGP this year.

Tim: Hey Brett you haven't ridden the ZX since I pulled the flies have you?

Me: No.

Jeff: It'll change your life.

Then someone said you will be taking off and think the tire must be flat or something then realize you are spinning the rear tire.

Sounds good to me.

The following coversation took place at MotoGP this year.

Tim: Hey Brett you haven't ridden the ZX since I pulled the flies have you?

Me: No.

Jeff: It'll change your life.

Then someone said you will be taking off and think the tire must be flat or something then realize you are spinning the rear tire.

Sounds good to me.

LOL.

That friggin bike is stupid powerful with the flies out.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the guys at the Kawi factory used real soft screws and gobs of locktite to hold the butterflies in. You gotta heat up your #2 phillips screwdriver till its red-hot, hold it on the screw for 30 to 40 seconds to melt the locktite & then back em out real careful. Its almost like they knew people were gonna try it :icon_whistle:

It's more like they didn't want any screws sitting in the intake track to come loose. Not all that good on the motor.

I'm surprised they are not staked in place.

• 3 weeks later...
There was a PC V, headers, and a really good tuner. The tuner had done a number of zx14s & showed us a few before-and-after maps (butterflies in then out) with the same increase up top. Some very minor sacrifice down low in the 2500 - 3500 rpms.

Ah, that makes more sense. I'd guess removing the flies had nothing to do with that extra 14 up top. That was the exhaust and the tune.

I am surprised that there was less power anywhere below 6k after removing the flies, but I'm far from a professional tuner.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried milling or shaving a set of flies... maybe 5% of the total surface area at a time with a dyno run in between. I betcha there is a sweet spot in there somewhere.