CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle Bore

Silverbird2

I am in the middle of doing a few things to the bike. I have the airbox off to install the pair block off plates and noticed that the throttle bore and butterfly valves were a little dirty. I used brake cleaner (didn't have carb cleaner on hand) on a rag and some Qtips and cleaned them both. I noticed today in the services manual it says to not clean the throttle bore because it is coated in molybdenum???? Anyone else do this or am i the only dumbass?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've sprayed them off on both my 99's. One of them had a fuel regulator fail and filled all 4 cylinders up with gas, two of them were above the throttle plates. So I figure whatever I sprayed on them was not near as bad as sitting in gas for a weekend. The other one was an outside, ragged-out stunt bike that had so much crud built up on them that you would have thought it was ridden with no airbox at all for 15,000 miles. Neither bike exhibits any issues from throttle body cleaning, so I would say don't worry about it.

I have sprayed mine with carb cleaner and wiped down. But, learned something, and still would not think that it would be removable, more like a coating of Teflon, baked on cause, gasoline would remove anything less.