CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are '97/'98 upper cowls different than later ones?

sandman

Can I use a 1998 upper fairing on my 2000 titanium?

Or is this another case of '97/'98 carbureted XX parts not being the same/interchangeable with '99-'03 fuel injected parts? Specifically, is the early '97/'98 upper fairing different because of later ones having ram air intake ducts? I know the lower cowl "chin peice" or plastic V peice is definitely not interchangeable because of this difference...

The only difference I know of is the carbed bikes have two extra tabs to mount the oil cooler ducts. I have used fuel injected nose fairings on my carbed bike….. So I would say yes it would work, if the two extra tabs get in the way of mounting you could just snip them off. I have pics but I'm at work now.

The only difference I know of is the carbed bikes have two extra tabs to mount the oil cooler ducts. I have used fuel injected nose fairings on my carbed bike….. So I would say yes it would work, if the two extra tabs get in the way of mounting you could just snip them off. I have pics but I'm at work now.

I asked this question some time back and from memory Joe (Rockme) said the same, there are slight differences but they should still be able to be swapped :icon_confused:

How did you get the oil cooler to fit up without the tabs?

I was looking at it because mine is a 98 TiBird (quite rare in Aus :icon_surprised: ) and was looking at using a 2000 FI fairing etc and places like Ron Ayers sell the nose cone for ~1/3 what the dealers here want :icon_eek:

I asked this question some time back and from memory Joe (Rockme) said the same, there are slight differences but they should still be able to be swapped :icon_confused:

How did you get the oil cooler to fit up without the tabs?

I was looking at it because mine is a 98 TiBird (quite rare in Aus :icon_surprised: ) and was looking at using a 2000 FI fairing etc and places like Ron Ayers sell the nose cone for ~1/3 what the dealers here want :icon_eek:

The fit is so tight the the oil cooler air duct dosn't need to be mounted to the nose fairing. You can use some tape to hold it in place while installing the fairing but I didn't and it works fine.

To be clear: the oil cooler air duct mounts too the fairing and the oil cooler mounts to the fairing stay.