CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valve Stems (tire)

RC Randy

Almost 50,000K on my XX, and while I'm installing new tires, I thought I would replace the valve stems while I had the tire off.

I ended up cutting the inside of the stem away and pulling it thru the outside with a heavy chrome valve stem cap off of my car with a pair of pliers. Used the same cap and pliers to install the new ones with some tire lube.

Is there a tool and a easier way?

Almost 50,000K on my XX, and while I'm installing new tires, I thought I would replace the valve stems while I had the tire off.

I ended up cutting the inside of the stem away and pulling it thru the outside with a heavy chrome valve stem cap off of my car with a pair of pliers. Used the same cap and pliers to install the new ones with some tire lube.

There is a tool but it's no better than your method. Just a handle that threads onto the valve stem for pulling.

The better option, IMO, is solid metal stems. Just stick 'em through and thread on a couple nuts. They look way cooler, too. :icon_wink:

There is a tool but it's no better than your method. Just a handle that threads onto the valve stem for pulling.

The better option, IMO, is solid metal stems. Just stick 'em through and thread on a couple nuts. They look way cooler, too. :icon_wink:

and better still get the 90 degree set similar to this clickey post-2671-1232273203.jpg

it's so much easier to check, the front alone skinned my knuckles a couple of times not to mention the fucken dirt ....................

I replaced my valve stem every tire change. The valve rubber can deteriorate by heat and ozone that it may crack over time causing sudden deflation if you reuse them again and again. Valve stems are cheap at $1 a piece.

To remove it, I just use a pair of pliers pull it slightly out then used a cutter to cut it off.

The valve stem tool can be bought from any autopart store for a few bucks. It's just a long rod which threads onto the valve stem then pull it straight through by leverage. Without it, you run the risk of deforming the new valve's threads (the metal part) when you grasp it with a pair of pliers.