CBR1100XX.org Forum

E10 Fuel Filter Problems on a John Deere

BackStreet

I keep getting clogged fuel filters on my lawn tractor I think due to running 10% Ethanol.

I also read that E-10 should not be stored for long periods like over the winter in a XX.

Are there any additives for E-10 to make it not clog filters, scum up injectors, turn sour, cause rust, etc.?

First I've heard of this problem. My best suggestion (not trying to sound like an ass or anything) would be to avoid stations with 10% ethanol. I try to stay away from them, but it can be difficult. My dad absolutely will NOT run E10 in any of the garden equipment, but not because he's had any major issues. They just run better on real gasoline.

Mike I have read that E-10 will attract water when it sits for long periods of time. Try using Sea Foam as a general additive.

I use it in my lawn equipment all the time and have no issues at all. I mix it in the 5 gallon gas can that I store in the shed.

It is very hard to avoid the E-10 here in Jersey as just about all the stations are carrying it now. I have not seen one that doesn't lately.

I have also hear that the E-10 will eat the protective coating off the inside of a fuel tank. Like if the tank was restored and coated with an epoxy of some sort. That is only if the tank is the old metal type. That will end up in your fuel filter. If the tank is plastic you should be fine.

You may have a bad fuel line from the tank. That happened on my father's lawn tractor a few years back.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

NJ is one of the states that does not have to label "Contains up to 10% Ethanol" but I guess they will soon; most stations have labels.

I'm going to replace the hose and get a metal filter this time; some of the plastic filter's glue clogs the filter.

For the XX, I'm going to try sea foam.

Finding stations here in VA at least where I live without E10 is almost impossible. Both run better with regular gas.

Will adding some Stabil to the tanks over the winter help?

Yes Stabil will help but you can use Seafoam also it is a fuel stabilizer too.

Finding stations here in VA at least where I live without E10 is almost impossible. Both run better with regular gas.

Will adding some Stabil to the tanks over the winter help?

Yes Stabil will help but you can use Seafoam also it is a fuel stabilizer too.

cool deal thanks..