CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas Tank Dent

xxwiener

Does anybody have an idea of how to get a dent out of a gas tank. I just went to talk to a paintless repair place and he informed me that these tanks are double walld (which makes perfect sense), so just popping it out is not as simple. Can anyone help. Steve

The dent is 7 oclock from the gas cap, right by the curbiture.

Drop an M-80 in it and close the cap quickly. :icon_biggrin:

fill it with water and freeze it................

You beat me too it! I was just coming back to post that one up. Oh well.

Drop an M-80 in it and close the cap quickly. :icon_biggrin:

Won't the fuse being lit catch the gas inside on fire.... :icon_eh:

I will go to another paintless repair place and see. The yayhoo I dealt with yesterday told me it was a double walld tank about......25 times in a 4 minute conversation.

Thanks for the help guys. Stan, just know she is being well taken care of.

I had seen that freeze the water thing used to remove a dent in an exhaust pipe.

maybe the dry ice method would be worth a shot?

dry ice

I have used the ding king dent remover Billy mays special, for the tank , it took a lot of time but it did the job.

2 cents

Thanks for the link to the dry ice, Mack! I am going to file that one away. Plus it gives me an excuse to play with dry ice.

And yes, the M-80 was a mild attempt at humor. Please do not try it.

However, I did try the freezing the tank idea with an ATV tank many years ago. It actually worked pretty well.

If you don't mind sending it off to be fixed you can try www.empiregp.com

Plasticweld use to come on here from time to time, haven't seen him in a while but he does some good work. I had him seal an old Virago tank and paint match the grap rail plugs.

Shop is located in NY

Dave

If it is just a small dent like a dimple you should be able to find someone that knows how to use body dent spoons to work them out. I’ve seen them work magic on door dings so it should work on our gas tanks…………….. Don’t think it will work on your rims though.

I used the dry ice method on a ding in my tank when I first got it, 97 bird. Noticeably reduced the ding, didnt come all the way out cause I didnt have the patience to finish it up. Ended up putting a second look cover on the tank and you couldnt see it.

Kinley

My tank is dented badly. The dry ice method looks promising. Looks like I'll still have dents but maybe not as bad.

I'm thinking that it would be best to have a full tank of gas to reduce the chance of condensation inside the tank.