CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake system noise

Warp11XX

I've changed all brake lines on the Bird to stainless braided lines from HEL now. Found some interesting things out about bleeding and successfully using a Mity-Vac...next time I do this to another bike, it will be much easier :icon_rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure that I've got all the air out now, but I notice a noise that makes me wonder WTF it is? I think it is just the front secondary master cylinder on the left side caliper mount that is making the noise as it pressurizes, but I'm not sure. I didn't notice it with the OEM lines, but then again I really never paid close attention to say for sure. Does a slight eek-ing/squeeking type noise normally occur in the front when the rear brake is activated by pressing firmly? I'm just wanting to be sure I don't have any trapped air in there that is causing the fluid to make a noise when the system is fully pressurized. I don't see how it could be, but just being careful. I can't ride until the 6th to try it out but it really feels super firm when brakes are applied...far more firm than the OEM lines have ever been.

I used to get that as well. Seems perfectly normal and can be heard on the OEM lines if you listen carefully... I think.

That was when I had my '98 with Goodridge lines. Haven't got around to replacing the ones on my '07 yet.

Is it a metallic sounding squeak?

My bird makes a small amount of front brake noise with the stock lines....

Sort of...it is just a slight "erreek" noise that comes from the front as the rear brake is pressed. I believe it is the combination of the secondary master cylinder pressurizing and the calipers closing on the rotors simultaneously. My concern was that it might be the sound of fluid rushing past a spot that had trapped a small pocket of air somehow. I really don't think so, but wanted to be sure that I wasn't the only one hearing it as a general rule. I think that maybe the stainless lines amplify the sound a bit more than OEM's since they can sustain more pressure and apply more force for less effort. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but it feels like two fingers on the lever and a telepathic message to the pedal will stop my little black baby in her tracks from speeds that are approching time travel velocities now... :icon_biggrin:

Thanks guys! :icon_thumbsup: I'm feeling MUCH better about this now.