CBR1100XX.org Forum

PCII arrived

TeXTrain99

I have a '99 with 24K miles. Its a daily rider (I got it last year with 10K) and occasional two up week end tourer. The bike is stock with the exception of a 4-2-1 header into a D&D can and K&N filter which were on the bike when I bought it. I always thought the bike ran rich but after consulting with the knowledge bak here...my concerns were put to rest.

I had been averaging about 38mpg on a typical tank commuting. I recently changed out the chain and spockets. I went with a -1 front sprocket and keep the rear tooth count stock. I did this hoping to squeeze out a few more mpgs. I'm not the most aggressive rider around and giving up a bit of acceleration to get 40+mpg seemed to be a fair deal to me.

I've have experienced a decrease in fuel effeciency. Hobicus mentioned that the speedo may be dead on but now the odometer is +-4% off. Even after compensating for that my mileage is down to 34/35mpg. So....now I'm trying to get back to 38mpg or better.

I've just acquired a PCII from BDAZ XX. I've never messed around with these things before so I'm looking for a map and any good advice. A quick look at the Dynojet site maps was fun but I guess the question is can I put a PCIII map on a PCII? What do I need to be aware of when installing the PCII?

Fingers crossed....

Mark

I had been averaging about 38mpg on a typical tank commuting. I recently changed out the chain and spockets. I went with a -1 front sprocket and keep the rear tooth count stock. I did this hoping to squeeze out a few more mpgs. I'm not the most aggressive rider around and giving up a bit of acceleration to get 40+mpg seemed to be a fair deal to me.

Can't help with PCII maps, as I have a PCIII, but I wanted to point out that going

down one tooth on the front will not improve fuel mileage, as that gearing increases

RPMs at any given speed. To improve fuel economy, you need to increase front sprocket

size.

+1 you should have added a tooth up front. Going down one tooth should have resulted in more felt torque and strong launches:read easier wheelies! However, you definitely would have hurt fuel economy and your speed will read extremely optimistic when one tooth down.

I also have just acquired a PCII and don't know the answer to them being compatible with PCIII's? However, I suspect they are not.

Since you bought Randy's PCII, I would be interested in the map he was running for his Renegades. I have Migs installed and suspect they should be similar maps.

There is a guy in Austin who is a tuning guru that has his own dynojet dyno named Johnny Cheese. If you would like i will find his # for you. He just did a buddy of mine's ZX14. It cost him around 300.00. The guy spent about 5 hours tuning it. He is very happy with the results and says the guy is very thorough. He is well know in racing circles and does it as a hobby more or less. I plan to take mine there one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got the PCII. Thanks Randy. I have a set of maps, thanks to Stan and Eric. What I don;t have is a lot of confidence in selecting the right map.

Of the maps I have, there is not a D&D Full Exhaust with K&N filter map. There is a full RS3 Yoshi map and a full Akrapovic map. Would either of these be a good substitute?

The Akra map would be a closer fit, but...

neither one of those maps are going to increase your fuel milage.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll see if I can help you out.

PS. If you're running a 18/45 combo... your speedo is correct and your odometer is 4% too slow. So when figurering out your mileage you'll have to add 4% to your mileage before dividing by the fuel amount.

Find someone reputable that can do you a custom map. If you are after fuel mileage, they can make your map around your cruising rpms a little leaner for better fuel economy.

I had Smithers in Kansas City do a custom map for my Busa (Suzuki's fuel injection sucks when compared to Honda) and it was worth every penny. My XX with slip ons and no PC get about 41-42mpg and the Busa does about same.

RC....

I almost hate to say this but,

If your Busa is only getting around 41-42 mpg. Then someone screwed up you map royal. That or you've made some other modds to it that have screwed it up...

Why do I say this..... because my buddies 100% stock Busa always gets 46-48 mpg.

RC....

I almost hate to say this but,

If your Busa is only getting around 41-42 mpg. Then someone screwed up you map royal. That or you've made some other modds to it that have screwed it up...

Why do I say this..... because my buddies 100% stock Busa always gets 46-48 mpg.

That's exactly the mileage I was getting before the map. I was getting 47mpg at 75-80mph with Akro bolt ons and jet coated headers and everything else stock. WAY LEAN! I gained 9HP (151 to 160) and got rid of that annoying "buckin bronco" off idle lurching, that made it no fun to ride. It had the same crappy lurch, even with the stock cans. Seat of your pants can tell it pulls much harder when you crack it open.

If I want the mileage for a trip, in a few minutes I can just swap the plugs and be back to the stock Suzuki map.

Here's a Funny thing.... or at least something I find completely funny.

When poeple think of Cruising and Accelleration as one it the same thing. ( or they must anyways )

If you agree that they are not the same thing.... and then when you consider we have these cool computers that Map our fuel delivery accounting for lots of variables.... then you might agree that it's total reasonable to say that we could have 2 completely different Air to Fuel ratios for the 2 seperate states of being. Furthermore we should also be able to seemlessly blend from one state to another.

Lean for Cruising... and Rich for Acceleration.

Yet so vary few poeple can seem to grasp that, and even fewer poeple that even claim to be mechanics can actually map a Power Commander to achieve it.

Funny isn't it.

Just my .02 , and a friendly observation.