CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID ballast temps?

oldslowguy

I picked up an HID headlight kit on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The aluminum ballast housing is obviously intended to serve as a heat sink. So the thing must get hot. My question is "How hot?" Are we talking warm to the touch, you can fry an egg on it, or thermonuclear?

I'm asking because the current plan is to mount the ballasts on the bottom of the upper fairing with some 3M Dual Lock material. But if ballasts heat up much over 200 F, then it's time for Plan B.

I have about 20k with my ballasts mounted like you want to without any issues. I have never even noticed them hot to the touch.

I mounted mine like yours inside the front fairing. I'm thinking they don't get that hot, butt I don't check them either. I do know they haven't melted through the fairing yet so should be okay.

Thanks, gentlemen. This should make a good rainy day project.

You will be amazed at the difference it makes... I do a lot of night riding, and with the HID your field of vision is farther and wider. The first few times I rode with HID I was amazed at what I could see...

Jay and I are doing the install Saturday night on our bikes. I cant wait to try them out. :icon_biggrin: