CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX paint price?

oldslowguy

I just noticed that I haven't asked an ignorant question in at least three weeks. That's not good. :icon_lol:

A couple of, uh, incidents have resulted in a 'Bird that could really use some fresh paint. After the most recent one, I solved the immediate problem by having a local collision shop repair and respray the upper fairing and the left lower. They did a nice job, I'll admit; the new paint matches the old perfectly. But it cost $500 plus tax to fill less than a square foot of abraded ABS, sand it, then paint and clearcoat the two pieces.

I winced when I paid the collision shop. But conversations with a couple of people at NeXXT persuaded me that I may have to be prepared to bid quite high for a complete paint job. My question is how high? At the $1000 level, I'm interested. But by the time the number reaches $2000, apathy sets in.

So would any of you care to admit how much you paid to have your XX repainted, why it cost so much or so little, how happy you are with the result, and what you'll do differently if you have it painted again?

For that kind of money, you can get new parts. Why paint?

b334_1.JPG

Has anyone bought these?

Oh, I agree about the cost of a respray. But no one hereabouts seems to have purchased one of these eBay sets, so the quality of the plastic and the paint is a mystery. And I'll point out that not one of these Far East fairings appears to include mirror cowls.

The new paint job is chiefly driven by the fact that I want a non-OEM color. I'm leaning toward Ferrari red with gold rims. I'm a traditionalist. :icon_biggrin:

Before paying someone a grand for new paint, I think you could replace all the plastic for around $1500 and have all the decals already applied.

Then you could prep the old parts and find someone who paints on the side and have them shoot them for you at a much cheaper price. As long as the parts are just gouged and scratched, the filling ,priming ,and then final wet sand is pretty easy.

Be careful!

Last week a custom painter in Lexington resprayed my lower left cowl and replaced the decal (I purchased the decal). I had seen much of their work at car shows and such and it looks flawless so I drove the extra miles. Perfect job, three working days for $100.00.

They want $1500 to paint my 1991 Chrysler LeBaron convertible, I'll take it.

OLDSLOWGUY; Who took off the cowls?, may have been a charge if they did it. (I hate! fooling with the cowls and those "Clips".)

Michael Pavlick

If it's anything over $500-800 to get a whole bike painted, I feel it's worth the effort to invest in a decent splatter-gun, learn how to use it, and do it yourself. But I'm a dying breed here in 'Murica (sigh).. :icon_confused::icon_neutral:

Painters can charge sky-high prices because everyone's afraid to do it themselves - it isn't THAT bad, just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, extremely time-consuming, and you need to be very conscientious.

It's even OK if you fook it up, with even more time and a lot more work you can even correct mistakes! :icon_biggrin:

If it's anything over $500-800 to get a whole bike painted, I feel it's worth the effort to invest in a decent splatter-gun, learn how to use it, and do it yourself. But I'm a dying breed here in 'Murica (sigh).. :icon_confused::icon_neutral:

Painters can charge sky-high prices because everyone's afraid to do it themselves - it isn't THAT bad, just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, extremely time-consuming, and you need to be very conscientious.

It's even OK if you fook it up, with even more time and a lot more work you can even correct mistakes! :icon_biggrin:

You've sparked a thought. I have a Fuji HVLP outfit, to date used mostly for painting garden furniture. With the current setup, it'll blow latex paint (Rustoleum and such) if I cut the paint about 30% with water and Floetrol. Perhaps the right air cap and needle would allow me to spray automotive enamel, if it's cut with lots of lacquer thinner--or whatever the correct solvent is. I even have a bruised front fender to practice on. :icon_confused:

When I had damaged panels, I ended up getting replacement parts from University Motors, apparently for less than your local paint shops charge.

~$800 for the right lower, right mirror bucket, upper, and front fender. All Honda OEM, with decals.

That being said, I've looked at having custom paint work done, especially if I dump it again some time!

The prep and repaint part is easy only time is an issue. My problem was paint match. :icon_doh:

I did all the work myself sprayed the lowers with Rustolium paint for plastic wet sanded and buffed out. They looked great till I put them up on the bike and the black I used is a few shades off of the black that honda used. :icon_wall:

But I have gottin compliments on the job I did so i guess it is not so noticeable to everyone. :icon_rolleyes:

I am thinking of repainting the whole bike the nexxt time I do it and I am thinking of trying it myself again but with automotive paint this time. :icon_biggrin:

post-2853-1222134328.jpg