CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake cleaner???

googus

Ok my fellow riders I am changing my pad on my XX for the first time on any bike. I am not a wrencher and I do not hink that I can go as far as to removal of the pistons and clean/lube and put back in. Before I reset(push) the pistons back in can I use over the counter barke cleaner?? I read the back and it said to be careful on plastic and rubber. Isn't the seal made out of rubber or did I just answer my own question.

thanks in advance.

Greg

I will chime in here...you should be OK with the brake cleaner.

FYI ...I usually only have to use brake cleaner on my Jeeps.

On the bird & dirt bikes I usually just wipe off any brake dust with a clean cloth.

Make sure you get as much crud off of the pistons BEFORE you push them back in their bores ( It will go a long way in prolonging the life of your caliper seals). A shop rag and soft nylon brush with some solvent helps. Brake cleaner is generally safe for rubber seals as it is designed to be used around wheel cylinders and calipers. I do not recommend it for o or x ring chains, however, as the solvent will dramatically thin out the chain grease inside the rollers and seals. Clean all of the slides, fasteners, and contact surfaces thoroughly, too.