CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rattle at 3000-4000 RPM?

5150rider

Ever since I got my XX, I have had a rattle (I guess is the best way to discribe it) at around 3000-4000 RPM. Sounds like it is coming from the front, but it is hard to tell while the wind is blowing in my face. I can feel it a little bit from the handlebars. Any idea what it could be? Do I need to get it looked at?

I never noticed this; I'll try later today. You did not mention year and miles which may help. Also, is it from the engine or body?

I usually do keep my rpm above 4,000. At 3,000 rpm you have to downshift 2-3 times to have power to avoid an accident.

Sounds like the typical CCT failure

+1

Mine did the same thing when I first got it at 20,000 miles. Good news is that it is something you can do yourself, and doesn't take much time or money. Have John01XX hook you up- It will be cheaper and you don't have to take the chance of getting one of the old ones from your local dealer. Also do the search here, lots of info.

I never noticed this; I'll try later today. You did not mention year and miles which may help. Also, is it from the engine or body?

I usually do keep my rpm above 4,000. At 3,000 rpm you have to downshift 2-3 times to have power to avoid an accident.

Sorry...2002 with 55k miles. It is (from what I can tell) coming from the engine.

Sounds like the typical CCT failure

Thats what I was thinking. I just want to see if anyone else has had/has this happening before I spend some big bucks to get it fixed.

before I spend some big bucks to get it fixed

$36.50 total delivered in the States and $44.00 delivered Worldwide

Cheap fix and 15 minutes labor if you have no clue how.

The only hang-up is that I am leaving for NeXXt right now and on't return home for 10 days

I do have some CCT's with me tho, and have a laptop to monitor my site, email and this site

I must have replaced 6 of these things on my XX in the last few years. Yesterday, after I changed the oil, I noticed I had the 3-4k rattle. I decided to try something slightly different: I removed the screw in the back, and ran a small screw driver into the back of it, to wind it back up, I found it didn't want to tighten up. So I took a little 10wt oil and put it in the hole, and then when I went to turn it, it would wind fine. Once I let it back out, the rattle was gone. We'll see how it is over time, but it appears to me that maybe they just need lube once in a while.

I must have replaced 6 of these things on my XX in the last few years. Yesterday, after I changed the oil, I noticed I had the 3-4k rattle. I decided to try something slightly different: I removed the screw in the back, and ran a small screw driver into the back of it, to wind it back up, I found it didn't want to tighten up. So I took a little 10wt oil and put it in the hole, and then when I went to turn it, it would wind fine. Once I let it back out, the rattle was gone. We'll see how it is over time, but it appears to me that maybe they just need lube once in a while.

That may be the real answer.

John's gonna pop a cap in yer ass if you mess with his CCT bidness.

:icon_lmao:

That there is some funny shit.

I just recently changed mine out and it fixed the problem. I compared the new cct to the old one and couldn't feel the difference but the rattle went away with the new one so I guess that is the answer.

Rich John my have to give you a beaten if you cut in on his cct sales!! :icon_spank: Then again you might enjoy that too much..... :icon_biggrin:

We will have to deal with Rich this weekend at NeXXt !

Seems he may need a 3-5000 rpm spankin, bad boy !!

You're all talk, no action. :icon_twisted: See you there!

Seriously... I didn't think you made much on those anyway.

I've tried this while waiting for a CCT to come in. I've found if you wind it up with the screw inside and let it "snap" back out and the rattle would go away for a short time. It would come back again, but it seemed every time I did the fix it the rattle would come back quicker. You can make the CCT last longer but it still starts making noise after a while.

It is a great short term fix or a way to "check" to see if the CCT is making the noise but I don't think you will fix the issue.

:icon_biggrin:

I make just over $3.50 everytime I sell one !!

As posted before I have a retirement plan set for the year 2093 based on the sales of CCT's.

But you still need a spankin anyway :icon_evilgrin:

:icon_iloveyou:

I've tried this while waiting for a CCT to come in. I've found if you wind it up with the screw inside and let it "snap" back out and the rattle would go away for a short time. It would come back again, but it seemed every time I did the fix it the rattle would come back quicker. You can make the CCT last longer but it still starts making noise after a while.

It is a great short term fix or a way to "check" to see if the CCT is making the noise but I don't think you will fix the issue.

Did you try lubing the CCT while you were at it?

Did you try lubing the CCT while you were at it?

Ya I did try lubing it by my the screw moved freely without it.