CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing coolant?

HamrTym

In the next couple of days, I will be draining and replacing my coolant in prep for a track day, my first. Didn't someone once post a how to as far as the best way to completely drain the cooling system. Unfortunately, my Honda service manual is buried in the depth of a 10 x 20 storage unit. Obviously yanking the lower radiator hose and draining is a start. Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks.

Rob

That is all I do on the Suzuki's. Pull hose off the water pump and drain. If you have anti-freeze , you will need to refill with distilled water a couple of times and drain. Fill it up with the water, run it a little, shut off and pull the hose again. Use distilled water and Water Wetter for your fill for the track. Read the Water Wetter directions, you only need a cap full or 2 for the amount of water in the cooling system.

Thanks Rich.

Out of curiosity, will the over flow catch tank drain also with the rest of the cooling system? Or just disconnect the small hose and use it to drain the coolant catch can? Thank you.

Thanks Rich.

Out of curiosity, will the over flow catch tank drain also with the rest of the cooling system? Or just disconnect the small hose and use it to drain the coolant catch can? Thank you.

No, it won't. You have to suck it out. I recommend a vacuum pump, as coolant tastes like crap ;)

BTW, there's also a 10mm bolt on the left front of the block that you're supposed to remove to drain the block. Not crucial, but if you want to get it all....

On the 'bird you don't need to pull any hoses. There's a bolt on the water pump that will allow

you to drain most of the coolant. Remove the plug on the front of the engine, as Redbird points

out, to get the rest of it out of the block. Then proceed as jcrich outlines.