CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin Pilot Road tire question?

testrider

Hi all,

I just received the 2 Michelin PR tires from sportbiketrackgear.com. This is the 1st time I have the Michelin and 1st time I mail order tires:

- See the attached picture, there are 2 lines running along the rear tire in the complete circumference. Are these normal?

(The one in the center I'm pretty sure is normal as it looks like a raised mold line but the one on the left looked like a small indent that runs even into the void between the threads)

- There is no yellow or red paint marking the light spot of the tire like other brands?

- There was no packing/wrapping whatsoever inside the box. They just put the 2 tires inside a cardboard box. How do the other vendors ship tires?

Thanks for any comments.

-mike-

post-891-1215911572.jpg

post-891-1215911584.jpg

No experience with the Roads, but the Powers I've mounted have had a similar line on them, though admittedly not as pronounced as your picture.

No, no balance mark on Michelins. Annoying, and no, they're not close enough for it not to matter.

I've gotten tires in every form from just a tire with a label stuck on it, to completely shrink wrapped, to banded and boxed. and weighing twice what they needed to.

Since the left line runs along the whole circumference of the tire and even into the depth of the voids between the threads, may be that's the way it is from the factory? I can't see how it got on it any other ways. Since it's obvious and passed their factory inspection, can I assume that's normal?

Since Pilot Road are so popular here on XX, I wonder what other people see?

Thanks.

I've seen lines like the one on the left in PRs before, but not the one on the right;

that looks like a crack in the photo and, if that's the case, I'd say the tire was

defective.

Those look pretty much like the three sets of Pilot Roads I have put on. Sometimes there is paint in the rub mark (to the left), and sometimes not. The wavy lines, are, IMHO, layup lines due to the way that Michelin builds their green tires before they are cooked. You will find that the rub mark goes away, but the layup lines will be slightly visible for the life of the tire (especially if you wash it and look for them).

I've balanced the bare wheels before mounting the tires, and in my limited experience, the PR's have needed very little, if any, adjustment after mounting. Some say that the bar code sticker on the tire bead should be lined up with the valve stem. I've lined it up, and not, with similar results.

I think the packaging/wrapping of the tires depends on where they were distributor sourced from originally. SWMotoTires.com sends them in a box also, but they may have different vendor wrapping and stickers on the individual tires.

I've seen those lines on 3 different PR rears now...

It must be something to do with the way the rubber is injected, or seemed, or something... but in any event, it's never caused a problem that I know of.

In fact.... one is on my Rear PR right now...

I've seen those lines on 3 different PR rears now...

It must be something to do with the way the rubber is injected, or seemed, or something... but in any event, it's never caused a problem that I know of.

In fact.... one is on my Rear PR right now...

Thank you all, I appreciate your inputs and comments. I was worried that the new tire I received might be defective but you all now put my mind at ease :-)

I also saw the same lines on kneedraggers.com's web site:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Michel...MICHELIN-4.html

post-891-1215957811.jpg

The Michelin's puts a small Barcode on the bead, as to where the "heavy spot" lyes.

I thought the same thing, but after mounting and balancing a few Michelins, I'll have to agree with others that say it's not a balance marker, but simply some sort of production code that's placed at random in reference to balance.

I am not sure about the PR's but the PR2's and PP's contain so much silicone that they build up static charge and therefore have a strip that runs around the tire that somehow serves as a ground. I think that is what the line on the left is. It is a little more pronounced than I am used to seeing but it is in the right place

I am on my second PR2 rear and both had a thick coloured line around the tyre and both had what looked like a split appear once some wear was on the tyre just to the right of centre where your "ridge" of rubber is - No problems with either :icon_surprised:

I'm on my 4th set of Pilot Roads and the last set I purchased

looked exactly like yours with a single irregular line around

the curcumference of the rear tire. My previous 3 sets did not,

and I always purchase from the same supplier (ridedirect.com).

I was concerned, fearing a manufacturing defect, but after 500

miles or so, the line scuffed away completely. Everything's cool.

Thank you all, I'm going to keep them.

My current tires are Bridgestone Battlax BT-57 (the only brand/model I have been running since 1999 and I'm on my 4th set) and have about 9500 miles so I will replace soon. The BT-57 lasted a long time for my type of riding (commuting and long trips with occasional twisties.) They lasted an average of 11k-12k miles when they hit the wear bars. How do the Pilot Road compare to the BT-57?

Thank you all, I'm going to keep them.

My current tires are Bridgestone Battlax BT-57 (the only brand/model I have been running since 1999 and I'm on my 4th set) and have about 9500 miles so I will replace soon. The BT-57 lasted a long time for my type of riding (commuting and long trips with occasional twisties.) They lasted an average of 11k-12k miles when they hit the wear bars. How do the Pilot Road compare to the BT-57?

I ran through 2 sets of PR's and averaged about 7500 miles + or - I loved those tires the only reason I don't have them on now is I just wanted to try something else to see what is out there and also $$$ played a little roll in buying. I'm cheap. :icon_biggrin:

I have a tendency to be heavy on the throttle at times. :icon_twisted:

The line on the right is the parting line of the mold. Dead give away is the 'flash' of rubber that sticks up.

The line on the left? Not really sure. Are these tires the dual compound tires? Maybe this is how they either identify one tire type from another, or it is another material.

My pilots don't have the line and they are not the dual compound type.