CBR1100XX.org Forum

Blowin 10Amps

BigMig

I got a Clear Alternatives integrated tail light from John's Bike Bits, along with some other bits. As usual, John gave very prompt service and the stuff arrived quickly. The tail light has been in the garage for weeks now, and so I took off my GIVI box and soft saddlebags and tail fairing to got a good look - during a rainy weekend

I took the stock tail light off - pretty easy - and so far, I still have the stock rear turn signals attached and connected. I attached the Clear alternatives tail lights only - and I'm blowing a 10A fuse - that controls the FI light, tach, neutral light and oil light. Anybody have any ideas what I should check - or have follow-up questions that might help me find the source of the problem?

Thanks, team :icon_think:

Mike

When does the fuse blow? as soon as you turn on the key? when you hit the brake? signal light?

You likely created a short by wiring a 12V to ground, or have a wire with broken/cracked coating touching the frame(ground).

By what is causing the fuse to blow you should be able to figure out what wires could be the issue. Use a mulit meter to find the one touching around.

When does the fuse blow? as soon as you turn on the key? when you hit the brake? signal light?

You likely created a short by wiring a 12V to ground, or have a wire with broken/cracked coating touching the frame(ground).

By what is causing the fuse to blow you should be able to figure out what wires could be the issue. Use a mulit meter to find the one touching around.

Yeah what he said.

I'm running an integrated LED tailight and stock signals with no problems, so you either have a bad wire, crossed up something, or there is a short in the new tailight.

I guess what I'll do is put the stock bulbs back in and see if they affect the fuse. if they don't then I can look at teh CA unit next. I need to get some 10A fuses...at an auto parts store? They're pretty small. It's obviously been a while since I changed fuses.

Thanks for the help.

M

I guess what I'll do is put the stock bulbs back in and see if they affect the fuse. if they don't then I can look at teh CA unit next. I need to get some 10A fuses...at an auto parts store? They're pretty small. It's obviously been a while since I changed fuses.

Thanks for the help.

M

Autoparts or Wal-Mart & maybe even a good convient store I know some of the little stores down here stock them, though not many maybe 1 out 5 carry the little fuses.... Dont ask me how I know that :icon_whistle:

OK, I put the old style bulbs back in the tail light receptacles - and also replaced the blown 10A fuse - and turned it on. All is well - the tail lights work right, brake light works right.

Connect the CA - and I blow another fuse. Could this be anything except the CA unit?

Mike

Connect the CA - and I blow another fuse. Could this be anything except the CA unit?

Chances are it's the CA..

Did you change anything else at all besides th CA between tests?

No - I had not even connected the turn signal lights

M

Contact who every you bought it from and see about returning it. Likely it's a small issue but could cause you lots of headaches. Your time has to be worth something and you could easily spend hours troubleshooting, not to mention you could fry something.