CBR1100XX.org Forum

PCIII & IAT question

CxBXR

Quick question needs clearing up :

When you install the PCIII it is designed so you can add/subtract fuel if needed, Isnt the iat interefering with this process ? or is the iat overidden by the PCIII commands ?

I have a flat spot at 2-2.5K the I cannot get rid of, I have subtracted tons of fuel & added tons of fuel at the map where the problem is, with no luck. Just cannot figure out what it is ?

I have also replaced everything else that pertains to this type of problem (FPR,Plugs,Air block off plates, fuel filter,airfilter,) & have added seafoam on more than one occasion.

It runs great below 2-2.5k & above, but there is a noticable hole there, any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks

idle air temperature

exhaust problem

On a side not if it was malfunctioning it would cause idling & possible above idle issues. Dont beleive that to be it though.

I have tried 2 different aftermarket systems,

4>1 D&D , & dual D&D's with aftermarket header, same problem has plagued me through both systems.

I have narrowed it down to TPS or MAP sensors, but the TPS is not replaceable :icon_doh:

without afr no idea

no codes not problem

remove pc3

iat unpluged rich ...to point of foul plugs

sorry criptic at ball game on phone

Right I dont have a afr set-up ,need to get with you some time & see what you think it might be.

Already removed pcIII no help, same spot same problem

never unplugged iat & dont plan too, just changed plugs do not want to go back in it.

Here is an observation I made a little while ago......... I was checking exhaust flow VIA my hand, at idle it produced very high flow of gasses out the back like normal, then as I opened the throttle the flow seemed to decrease & at an almost unbeleivable rate, & got very warm quickly, I dont know but this might be a recipe for dissaster, any further ideas. Thanks in advance

***Map is currently set a little on the rich side for precaution***

Ok, I am back on the computer, at home, got me some coffee.

We will get the authority in here soon But, what I have learned from him.

Yes, I think that the design of the exhaust is paramount to the flat or dip mid-range. All the fuel or lack does not change it to where it should be in a parabolic curve.

Personally, I think that there is not enough volume in the collector that merge the 4 together after the pair come together. Another, is the velocity slows too much. But, I have not tried what I think should be done. Erik's approach is unique and his, and it works, but he will have to expound on it.

D&D ,bless their heart, are not a very good performance header. Others are much better at getting the rich dealt with that backup from the resonance.

I would try something to see how it works. Being I am not familiar with the construction of the DD, if you can repack, take the packing out of the first half.

I would think the dual if you still have it, would be better.

Have you ever tried without any mufflers?

How far from Houston are you ? Might take a ride up that way if your not busy & would like to help ?

Yes I am running the dual D&D's with an aftermarket header (not D&D brand) Have not tried it without mufflers as there is basically no muffle to the D&D's already (straight thru basically)

I agree the exhaust header if very important, but should be able to compensate with map adjustments ? Not to mention I dont believe it to be the exhaust 100%. I would be curious as to what a AFR meter might show.

How far from Houston are you ? Might take a ride up that way if your not busy & would like to help ?

Yes I am running the dual D&D's with an aftermarket header (not D&D brand) Have not tried it without mufflers as there is basically no muffle to the D&D's already (straight thru basically)

I agree the exhaust header if very important, but should be able to compensate with map adjustments ? Not to mention I dont believe it to be the exhaust 100%. I would be curious as to what a AFR meter might show.

You know the south west corner of New Mexico,,,Right there.

There is not much difference with or without the dd's Maybe less without. Remember megaphones.

What I have seen, the rich comes from restriction in the pressure wave from improper volume. Too long, and too small. But built for power at a different Rpm.

Sacrifices must be made to gain market share reguardless of actual use.

World class top speed sells bikes even if never uesd for by those who buy them for that reason.

Causes a loss in midrange to get it.

So drive faster...or higher rpm.

On the pc2 you can help by changing the tp chart to make it think the throttle is open less than it is. but you have to add that back in up higher to keep it rich enough.

I think advancing the ign there also helps.

Down load the maps and open and print for the different headers and look at the settings in that range. the numbers show which way they make the fuel go.

I think the only way to get enough volume to have torque is to double the volume of the collectors by splitting into 2 into 1's No flat spot there. That is what I did on the quad because of the drag and not needing very high speed. I have tried both types of headers. Nothing can push the air resistance of the additional drag so down low is the way to go.