CBR1100XX.org Forum

Align intake came

Bunbun

Ok so part 2 of the completely botched maintenance....

With the engine still in the bike, is there an easy way to align the intake came properly? Obviously I can't see the marking on the cam sprocket itself to align with the top of the head. Any tips on how to get it aligned properly? I *think* it's right, but I don't wanna put everything back together and find out that it's not....

Bun

I used the bolt patern of the sporcket as a secondary reference, which is that if you drew a lign between the mounting bolts they would be close to perpendicular to the head,

53790881.camsprocketmarked.jpg

You could pull the intake cam back off and mark the inside of the cma like tim did wihtt he marker.

that's kinda what i've done there, however when that mark lines up, the top part of the timing chain is pretty loose. When the top of the chain is properly tight, the cam isn't lined up properly. argh. Back at it -- thanks for the pics tim, i'm sure i can put them to use!

Bun

I ran into the same issue when I did mine- expecting it to be more perfect that it is. The marks (both intake and exhaust) will be close, but possibly not spot on with the top of the head. If going one tooth one way or the other makes it worse, then you're there.

You'll notice the mark as actually off a bit in this picture, but that's it, as good as it gets-

53790986.jpg

yay! Got it started, sounds good and there is no chain lash sound anymore! BTW, my exhaust line is absolutely perfectly aligned with the top of the head. Intake isn't pefect, but I think it's pretty damn close. Thanks for the assistance and the pictues tim -- helped give a perspective on how it's supposed to look still in the bike. And thanks to Stan for helping with the previous issues. I'm confident enough to actually button it back up.

Bun