CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging system Q & A

Fast Eddy

So on the ride back from OzarXX my voltage would drop to 13.5 on the long stints between gas stops (for those who ride with Hobi, you know).

I thought on the way back it was time to replace the stator maybe?

97 XX 37,000 miles, no extra electrical toys.

Or is it proper for the voltage to drop like that cause there is little drawing.

After every gas stop it would start good and voltage around 13.9/14.

Just wondering am I being paranoid?

What are you using to monitor voltage?

I used my 8500 detector for a voltage monitor, but I hear they are usually incorrect. It usually ran around 13.7 to 14.1 on the FJR, but it would jump around all the time. I figured if it didn't drop dramatically things were working ok.

I used my 8500 detector for a voltage monitor, but I hear they are usually incorrect. It usually ran around 13.7 to 14.1 on the FJR, but it would jump around all the time. I figured if it didn't drop dramatically things were working ok.

I have a Datel volt meter.

Is it as GAY as Daves one? :icon_evilgrin::icon_whistle:

Is it as GAY as Daves one? :icon_evilgrin::icon_whistle:

No, he has the gay blue. I have the hot red! :icon_evilgrin:

Check out your stator. Make sure it's in spec with regards to reisistance across the coils, and that it makes 50VAC at 5K IIRC. Check out the charging system trouble shooters guide for exact specs.

You're still producing well over 12VDC with your present stator, so I woudn't be too worried yet.

However, this could also be your R/R giving you trouble.