CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ready, set, CHARGE !

BigMig

I recently replaced the battery on my 2000 XX (stock, I guess - Yuasa). Since I had been in the habit of putting it on a trickle charger, I placed this new one on the charger after I had ridden the bike several times with the new battery.

The charger (a 1.5 aH unit) showed that the battery was accepting a charge for between 30 and 50 minutes.

My question - could there be a prob w my charging system, or is accepting a charge normal for this situation? If there might be a problem, what steps should I take to head off getting stuck somewhere?

Mike

I recently replaced the battery on my 2000 XX (stock, I guess - Yuasa). Since I had been in the habit of putting it on a trickle charger, I placed this new one on the charger after I had ridden the bike several times with the new battery.

The charger (a 1.5 aH unit) showed that the battery was accepting a charge for between 30 and 50 minutes.

My question - could there be a prob w my charging system, or is accepting a charge normal for this situation? If there might be a problem, what steps should I take to head off getting stuck somewhere?

Mike

Maybe wasn't a problem with it before you had it try and charge a new battery... May be a problem with it now...

In all seriousness, a motorcycle charging system is not good at, or meant to, charge a battery up when brand new or dead. It is only meant to top it off from starting the motorcycle.

Everything could very well be just fine and still experience what you're seeing...

Mike

Did you put it on the charger immediately after a good length ride, or was it after

the bike had sat for a day, or two or after a very short ride? If a short ride, the

bike charging system might not have had enough time to top off the battery after

starting the engine. If after a few days, there is enough trickle out of the battery

when the engine is off to slowly drain it.

I've found that, even after a long ride, the Battery Tender will show a charging state

for a few minutes (maybe five or so) before going to float mode when I hook it up

immediately after getting back home.

Maybe wasn't a problem with it before you had it try and charge a new battery... May be a problem with it now...

In all seriousness, a motorcycle charging system is not good at, or meant to, charge a battery up when brand new or dead. It is only meant to top it off from starting the motorcycle.

Everything could very well be just fine and still experience what you're seeing...

Mike

+1... It may not be too late... Treat it like a new battery...

- Remove the battery, check electrolyte level, and use a standard charger to give it a prolonged (8+ hour) charge at the recommended rate (printed on the battery top). Reinstall the next day, test & ride...

A trickle charger with a float charge capability is meant to maintain a properly prepared (full initial charge before installation) battery - not for the initial charging cycle... otherwise, a new battery may never charge to its full potential.

A trickle charger with float capability is meant to charge a battery, but it just does it slowly... It just has the added benefit of allowing you to leave the charger on the battery without over-charging it.

The problem is, unless I read his original post wrong, that he filled up the new battery, went for a few rides, THEN AFTER THE RIDING, put it on a trickle charger... Supposed to be charging BEFORE you ride with it.

Mike

My Battery Tender never goes green as soon as I plug it in. I'd say troubleshoot your system anyway, just to be safe, but don't stress to much based on the behavior of the Battery Tender.