CBR1100XX.org Forum

Idle and start problem on 4-wheeler

The Krypt Keeper

Did some carb cleaning on a Suzuki 500 Quad Runner 2000 model for a buddy.

Well it was actually pretty clean inside, jets looks to be in good shape.

Well after a quick cleaning I buttoned it back up and this is where the problem happens. :icon_rolleyes: Its now really hard to fire up even with the choke on. One you do get it fired up and actually warmed up you can cut it off and will also be hard to fire up again. So I opened it back up last night and double checked everything and all seems to be working just fine, all the jets were clean and clear, no pin holes in the diaphram or anything.

Put it back together and starts alittle easier but not a whole lot, and now when she idles and you give it gas the rpms stay up even with the throttle at idle.. :icon_confused: I tried to slightly adjust the idle to see if it helps but no luck.. Sounds like something is sticking but it has me stumped..

I don't know... I am stumped.. I have been into lots of bike, car, 4-wheeler, lawnmower carbs. None have given me this much headache..

Anyone got any suggestions or think of something I might have missed.

Dave

Did some carb cleaning on a Suzuki 500 Quad Runner 2000 model for a buddy.

Well it was actually pretty clean inside, jets looks to be in good shape.

Well after a quick cleaning I buttoned it back up and this is where the problem happens. :icon_rolleyes: Its now really hard to fire up even with the choke on. One you do get it fired up and actually warmed up you can cut it off and will also be hard to fire up again. So I opened it back up last night and double checked everything and all seems to be working just fine, all the jets were clean and clear, no pin holes in the diaphram or anything.

Put it back together and starts alittle easier but not a whole lot, and now when she idles and you give it gas the rpms stay up even with the throttle at idle.. :icon_confused: I tried to slightly adjust the idle to see if it helps but no luck.. Sounds like something is sticking but it has me stumped..

I don't know... I am stumped.. I have been into lots of bike, car, 4-wheeler, lawnmower carbs. None have given me this much headache..

Anyone got any suggestions or think of something I might have missed.

Dave

This may sound strange, but my wife's Ninja 250 had a similar running condition. After going through two sets of carbs I checked the valves and found them to be way off. Adjusted the valves and it ran perfect.

If it comes down to it I will see about checking the valves. I doubt they ever been checked, the 4-wheeler has almost 1000 miles on it. The 4 wheeler started up pretty easy before I checked out the carb. The only problem was it stumble some if you just idled along at a slow pace which it would want to stall out. So the owners first thought was to see about cleaning up the carb as the jets might have had alittle bit of crude on them..

Dave

One of the things I do is to blow through the passage ways with carb cleaner with the jets and needles out, just to make sure.

Also the Idle jet hole is hard to see through and plugs easily. Start out with the idle screw 1.5 turns out from closed.

With it idling as slow as it will turn the screw 1/4 turn one way or the other, and wait for the idle to change, if it goes up, slow the idle down and go again the same way again 1/4 turn. Stop when it goes the other way and go back.

I you make it to 1 turn either way you need the next size idle jet.

Since you are adding air by opening if you get to 1 turn you need to make the idle jet smaller.

And go back to 1.5 turns and start over.

Some are fuel needles and this is reversed, but not many.

In comes Speedy and corrects for suzuki's, he is the authority on these and that

I guess I'd first make sure there is good flow from the gas tank, then re-check the needle to make sure it's not hanging up and that the float is set properly and isn't leaking. If it's getting good flow there, then the blockage is elsewhere and you'll just have to chase it down. Make sure the vent is not plugged. Also check that the throttle cable is not binding and that the slide/butterfly is opening and closing smoothly and completely. Never seen one of those quads so I'm kinda in the dark on this one, but a carb is a carb.

Has the quad been sitting for a while? Bad gas? No mouse nest inside the exhaust? Air filter plugged? Good spark plug, wire and good spark? If it has a stator does it test ok? Pick-up coil ok?

Before you removed the carb was the only complaint the stalling problem? Would it rev up properly? Did you test ride it to see how it ran?

Good luck.

Hi Stan. :-))

Sorry for not updating my computer at home is out of commission basically.

I did some adjustments and 4 wheeler fires to life with ease now. Will purr like a kitten till after a few minutes where it will start to sputter some like its loading up, or if you try giving it some throttle it will start revving up and stay there even after you let off the throttle.

Hmmmm.

A couple things come to mind.

1. Does the slide in the carb move up/down smoothly and easily. Is there an airleak around the diaphragm, torn perhaps?

2. Did you replace the float needle valve. It's sounds like it's running out of fuel (needle not opening) then getting too much fuel (needle stuck open).

Whats going on Matt, long time no see... Yeah the slide moves pretty easy in the carb, the diaphram is in great condition with no leaks or tears in it. I didn't replace the float needle as it looked pretty dang good as with the other parts inside the carb. Amazingly enough for how the 4 wheeler ran when I got it.

I can try making a slight tab adjustment to the float to let the needle open more or less.

Float does move easy and has no leaks to allow gas in it also.