CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam chain & tensioner replacement cost

swampdonkey

In order to put closure on this thread and for the sake of posterity, here was the outcome. Brief history: I was riding the XX when instantly a loud tapping began. The bike was brought to local shop (MaxRPM in Bremerton, WA) and their diagnosis was a kinked cam chain due to a faulty CCT. No work was performed due to that I felt the quote was too high.

I then began this thread for suggestions and it was largely universal that the CCT was likely the culprit. Through bribery and promises of women, I was able to lure some list members, including Chris (CAPPEL)", and Noreen (Kuulei) & Vern (haWHYnXX), to the home of TOXXIC (Tim) who has a nice-n-toasty garage.

What I believe is called the pulser cover was initially removed. There was no tension at all on the CCT. The cam chain was inspected for any damage and it looked fine. The new CCT (from John) was installed. It was decided that we'd button the bike back up, turn her over and see what happens. The moment of truth arrives and...and...and a dead battery put things off until we could liberate one from Tim's XX. The bike had not been started in over 6 months but she came to life quickly and, more importantly, quietly. I've since charged the battery but am waiting to take the bike out to ensure all is well until the rain passes.

In order to retain at least a thread of hope in mankind, I’ve forced myself to believe that the shop just honestly made a mistake and was not purposely fleecing me. Tim made a poignant comment about this when he said that the shop likely has little experience w/ the Blackbird and could have unknowingly thought the cam chain had in fact went out whereas on the Blackbird site you have hundreds of people w/ intimate knowledge of this machine.

Lastly, thanks to all who provided input and especially to Tim, Chris, Vern and Noreen for offering up part of their weekend. You guys are awesome!

-Scott-

I tell you it was the most XX's I have seen together in WA. Even though not all bikes were there, between 5 riders there was a total of 7 XX's and other bikes plus one gay MP3. Tim even did a nice short burnout with. He is so buying me a new rear tire! He was grinnning ear to ear!

Excellenty info...let us know what you decide.

I would put a CCT in it !!!

(It takes all of 5 minutes...)

Try a CCT!

All of 5 minutes work...

• 1 month later...

OK guys I am trying to figure this out so please be gentle:) I jus got a XX and it rattles as stated at exactly 3,500-4,000.

Is it very bad to run the bike like this if it is the CCT?

Also can anyone point be to the forum that has a detailed install on the part. I jsut did a full tune up on the bike so the bike and I are getting to know one another. Oh i am not very mecahnically incline.

Should I just get rid of the bike. I bought the bike planning and I say planning of not putting too much money in it from the get go if you know what i mean.

Thank you very much in advance.

Greg

I have them in stock for $36.00 delivered in the States or $44.00 International

OK, now is this the problem and any directions?

Also can I ride it for awhile with this being the issue?

If you only hear the noise in a limited range you are probably still good for awhile. Get the part ordered and it take 10 minutes to swap the part, just two bolts for the CCT and a few more to pull the right lower plastic.

googus you are making this out to be something that it is Not.

As was said, it is a 10 minute job of which 8 minutes is the removal and replacement of the right lower fairing panel.

the only trick in the whole deal is to not let your curiosity get the best of you and force you to remove the retainer pin

before the CCT is installed !!!!

here is a link with pictures for the installation

CCT Installation Link Click Here