CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Line repair

Clinton Horn

Well after all the drama of adjusting the valves, installing the cams, placing the valve cover and failing to get the little 1/2 round gasket in the corner where the GD frame makes it impossible to see, I finally got the oil to stop spewing out of the cover. In doing so, I kinked the fuel line by raising the tank too high for access. If this happens to you and you are not such a purist that you have to have the factory squeezed hose, you can salvage the situation and ride the same day. Apparently in my area, fuel lines are too much of a liability to rework. I bought some readily available 8mm fuel hose (rated to 300 psi) cut the factory crimp off by splitting it longways with a dremel cut off wheel. Careful not to cut into the pipe on the banjo connections. Then I used 2 worm drive stainless clamps (known as radiator clamps in my part of the world) on EACH end, there is enough room.I figure the pressure is between 60-75#. In any case, it worked and I got to ride my bike after all the effort I put in. Runs great. I guess it was worth it in the end. I have repaired automobile fuel lines in the same way for the same reason ( stranded 200 miles from home). It went to the crusher with the same set up and never leaked. If it does not hold, I am no worse off unless it incenerates me. :icon_evilgrin: