CBR1100XX.org Forum

Black Bird with E10 or E20

panote

Does the BB'98 can running on E10 or E20 octane 95.

wow... I assume you meant to say "can a '98 BB run well on E10 or E20?"

We can only get E10 here, so it does run fine on E10, but I wouldn't go over that to the E20...

Mike

They tried this Ethenol snake oil crap back in the 80's. The problem was the polomers used at the time in the orings and such were not compatable.

It seems now my valves on my v8's clatter a bit at WFO on ethanol but I haven't noticed any thing significant on the XX.

The manual in the latest BBs say no more than 10% ethanol. I have run mine for most of the last 18,000km on E10 95 & consistently got 17.5km/L.

Recently (last 4 fills), due to where I was when I had to fill it, I tried BP 98 RON (no ethanol). When I previously used various fuels, my mileage stayed consistent at 17.5km/L, (mostly Shell standard unleaded 91, E10 95 & V-Power 98), but I have now found that my usage has gone from 17.5km/L to 19.3km/L for the same commuting that I always do. Will try on the Shell V-Power again, when they actually have some. Refinery problems mean they have been out of stock here for about the last month!