CBR1100XX.org Forum

When to make valve adjustments

Warp11XX

This is my second valve check at roughly 35K. All valves are still in spec, but at the specified tolerance limit ie: all intake valves are .005 in. clearance. The two inboard exhaust valves in numbers 1 and 4 cylinder are .008 in. while all others are .009 in. clearance.

My question: Should I make the changes now to bring the intakes back to .006 center clearance, as well as the two exhaust valves that measure .008? Any advantage or disadvantage to doing this now as opposed to at the next check interval when some tolerances may actually exceed the limit?

This is my second valve check at roughly 35K. All valves are still in spec, but at the specified tolerance limit ie: all intake valves are .005 in. clearance. The two inboard exhaust valves in numbers 1 and 4 cylinder are .008 in. while all others are .009 in. clearance.

My question: Should I make the changes now to bring the intakes back to .006 center clearance, as well as the two exhaust valves that measure .008? Any advantage or disadvantage to doing this now as opposed to at the next check interval when some tolerances may actually exceed the limit?

How much have they moved since the initial check? My inclination would be to leave 'em for now. Checking them is easy, adjusting, not so much, and in spec is in spec. If you do bother doing it now, try to bring them all back to center of spec, at least that way you're less likely to have to pull it all apart again to adjust a couple different valves next time.

When I checked at 16K, all intakes were at .006 except for inboard on #4 cylinder...it was .005 then and doesn't seem to have changed. Exhausts were all .009 with the exception of inboard #1, which was .008 at the time and doesn't seem to have changed much. The inboard #4 exhaust was a tight .009 then, and is a tight .008 now.

So, wisdom being that in spec is in spec, you think I'd be best off to wait until 50K or so and probably make several adjustments to maximize the efficiency of taking it all apart?

If they're all in, I'd just leave it until you get one that you have to adjust...

At 55,000 miles on mine, I just checked the valves yesterday... (1) was in the middle of the spec, (3) were .001 tight, (1) was just BARELY .002 tight (could almost get the .004 shim in there, but it was an intake, so not as critical as exhaust), and the rest were on the tight side of in spec...

Since I've got to adjust a few of them anyway, I'm going to take them all back to the middle of the spec and hopefully not touch it until 80-90,000 miles at least...

Mike