CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hyperpro Springs and Static Sag, DOT 5 fluid

BlueBlackBird

Just got my Hyperpro Combi Kit and while reading the installation manual(ITS TOO COLD TO DO ANYTHING ELSE) I came across the static sag set up for the bike , now, I understand how you get the measurements and compare those to the Hyperpro measurements. But how do you adjust the forks and shock to get the proper static sag ie. what Hyperpro recomends??? While perusing the Mityvac manual, they mentioned Dot 5 fluid, any comments on that? or just use what the shop manual recomends Thanks

DOT 4 fluid only.

I'll have to look at the Hyperpro directions again to remember exactly what I did. IIRC you need to raise the fork tubes about 5 mm as your ride height will be higher with the Hyperpro springs. For the rear you measure the free length of the spring then compress it with the adjustment rings to what the instructions recommend. This will put you very close. I cranked in a bit more preload in the rear to get what I wanted. Also do the 6 mm shim in the rear shock if you haven't already.

But how do you adjust the forks and shock to get the proper static sag ie. what Hyperpro recomends???

You have to change the length of the spacer on top of the spring to change the sag.

Longer spacer = less sag. Shorter spacer = more sag.

Thanks for the info, ,the above website(motorcycle suspension) is already on my favorites.So I would have to adjust the spring preload on the shock to increase or decrease the sag. I would think that for my weight(192) and riding style( not overly aggresssive, but I do like the twisties) the hyperpro measurements will be very close for the proper sag. They recomend that the forks be raised to 45mm(standard 35.3mm) and a 5mm shim on the rear shock(I have the 6mm shim now) Hyperpro sag measurements are front 25mm, rear 10mm. So I cant wait for the gdamn snow and the cold weather(-15C) here this morning to go!!

Thanks for the info, ,the above website(motorcycle suspension) is already on my favorites.So I would have to adjust the spring preload on the shock to increase or decrease the sag. I would think that for my weight(192) and riding style( not overly aggresssive, but I do like the twisties) the hyperpro measurements will be very close for the proper sag. They recomend that the forks be raised to 45mm(standard 35.3mm) and a 5mm shim on the rear shock(I have the 6mm shim now) Hyperpro sag measurements are front 25mm, rear 10mm. So I cant wait for the gdamn snow and the cold weather(-15C) here this morning to go!!

You're about the same weight as me. Crank about 1 extra turn into the shock preload and an extra 1/4 turn in the rebound.