CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID with mechanical high beam

kiwimack

FYI.

we have purchased a few Cadillacs lately. they came with HID's one bulb for the high and low beam, uses a mechanical means of redirecting the light, seems to be some sort of sleeve that slides over the bulb.

I have been errr testing them every chance I get, Sit in the car and go high beam low beam multiple times, there is a lot of noise from the mechanicals, but apart from that they work really well. have been using them for about a year now and no problems at all. these are the first that I am seeing like this, our other vehicles , BMW 7 series, Mercedes S500, Volvo S80 all have the hid on low beam and a regular bulb in high beam.

The one problem with the Caddy setup unless you have the lights on you can't flash the high beams.

I have had to replace the Mercedes front headlight units, price installed from the dealer $1,600.00 each side...................one side was more expensive than the other

can't wait till we fuck up one of the Caddy's and see what that costs.

just saying

FYI.

we have purchased a few Cadillacs lately. they came with HID's one bulb for the high and low beam, uses a mechanical means of redirecting the light, seems to be some sort of sleeve that slides over the bulb.

Just curiosity...

Is this factory fitted or after market?

The (Euro) car brand I am employed, offers directional twin beam-single bulb HID. In this setup, there is a moving metal plate in front of the bulb which redirects the beam inside the lens (actually is like a restrictor in dipped beam). Also, there is not hysteresis when you flash the high beams with the lights of and the warm up period is very little (less than 10 secs). In the latest model, together with the HID comes an H7 bulb for high beam.

FYI.

Just curiosity...

Is this factory fitted or after market?

The (Euro) car brand I am employed, offers directional twin beam-single bulb HID. In this setup, there is a moving metal plate in front of the bulb which redirects the beam inside the lens (actually is like a restrictor in dipped beam). Also, there is not hysteresis when you flash the high beams with the lights of and the warm up period is very little (less than 10 secs). In the latest model, together with the HID comes an H7 bulb for high beam.

its factory fitted.