CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help! Front end hop.

herod75

My front tire(Diablo) was toast so I went to cyclegear yesterday and had a Pilot Power put on. I was only able to go for a twenty minute ride after I got the wheel back on but now there is a vertical vibration at 45mph. I can see my headlight bouncing when I'm behind a car. The tire has a couple of thin rubber strips that run across the tire. Could they be causing the problem? BTW I've got a 190 Diablo on the rear, but it still looks good. Anybody else experience this problem?

I just checked the pressure it's about 38PSI. Maybe I should just put a few more miles on it before I start freaking out. I really don't feel like pulling the wheel off again just to make sure the kid balanced it right. I'll say one thing, besides the shake, the pilot feels so much better than the diablo.

Either it's not balanced or it's not mounted in the right direction.

Check the arrow on the side of the tire, make sure it's going the right way.

Then take it back and have them balance it right. 45 mph is about the speed where balance starts to be an issue.

Make sure the bead is seated all the way around.

Lift the front end again. Push the calipers in to get rid of the pad drag and spin the wheel to check the balance without removing the wheel. Also while spinning the wheel check for any lumps in the tire.

Maybe better have a fellow rider, or even a spouse or friend in the passenger seat of a car watch the tire at 45mph. They can tell you if a vibration/hop is evident.

A real observation can show exactly what's happening...

I brought the wheel back to cycle gear and the manager said he would take a look at it. He called me back to the "room" and showed me that the machine said it was balanced. While it was spinning I could see from five feet away that it was not round so I pointed it out to him. He just gave me a look and said he didn't know what I wanted him to do about it. He reluctantly popped and reseated the bead and handed it back to me. When I asked him if we could put it back on the balancer and look at it before I took it home he became angry and kicked the door. I guess I was asking too much. It appeared round and it's smooth as silk now. I guess there's a little wiggle soom when seating the bead? What ever happened to treating customers with respect?

LETS BURN HIS STORE DOWN! :icon_twisted:

just kidding...

maybe... :icon_whistle:

I brought the wheel back to cycle gear and the manager said he would take a look at it. He called me back to the "room" and showed me that the machine said it was balanced. While it was spinning I could see from five feet away that it was not round so I pointed it out to him. He just gave me a look and said he didn't know what I wanted him to do about it. He reluctantly popped and reseated the bead and handed it back to me. When I asked him if we could put it back on the balancer and look at it before I took it home he became angry and kicked the door. I guess I was asking too much. It appeared round and it's smooth as silk now. I guess there's a little wiggle soom when seating the bead? What ever happened to treating customers with respect?

My take on it:

Cycle gear is a big name chain of stores, with lots of national press and attention. They offer up a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I would suggest that how you were treated were not what you expect to have happen you read their web site or the message from the CEO and is the result of the incompetance of one employee. I suggest you contact the OWNER and explain how you were treated, and ask him to address the problem before you go to corporate. I would not expect to be compensated, but the owner needs to be made aware of the problem.