CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changed my oil on the bird finally

Obby

It was 500 miles overdue. I just like riding it, not taking it apart. That's one reason I bought a Honda.

Anyways, everything went swimmingly. I took off the left lower side fairing. Drained the oil, pulled off the oil filter (large channel locks worked for me). Replaced the oil plug, installed a new crush washer. Installed the Honda brand oil filter (recommended). Refilled the oil with Mobile 15/50W Synthetic (4 quarts on the button). Started up the bike, looked for leaks. Re-checked the oil level. All is good :) .

Put the fairing back on. Pat myself on the back for such a perrrfect job :wink: . Start putting away my tools and.... smash, bang, clunk! Not the bird, but three drawer tool chest fell over my head with sockets and wrenched flying everywhere. WTF! I have know idea how the chest came down on me, but it hit my left arm on the way down and gave me a huge lump that started growing. I grabbed and ice pack and got it under control.

The good thing, my bird was far away and didn't get a ding.

Some days you just can't win :sad: . Didn't I say I would stop working on motorcycles :evil: . Oh well, the bird is happy.

Ps. Put on a Cheetah windsreen while the oil was draining. Better wind protection than stock. Look a little weird though. I'll leave it on for a while and see if it grows on me. If not I have two more to try :) .

you know you don't have to take any bodywork off to change your earl, right?

i have the cheetah screen and love it. it replaced a chintzy looking ZG DB that i was never really pleased with. it's thick and provides excellent wind/rain protection. the looks take a bit getting used to, but it's function, then form, right??!?!

if form came before function we'd all be riding harleys anyway :razz:

You do need to either remove or partially remove the left lower if you want to use channel lock pliers to remove the filter.

Obby-

I was just about to sell this little POS Bandit 600S that I somehow traded for. The eBay auction was going to pop this past Saturday.

So, I thought I'd do the next owner a good deed by lubing the chain. Put the bike up on the centerstand....and.....

SMASH!!!!!!!!!!

...down on the right side. $75 of parts are now on order. Auction canceled.

:banghead:

Glad you didn't hurt yer Bird....

Craig

i have the cheetah screen and love it.  it replaced a chintzy looking ZG DB that i was never really pleased with.  it's thick and provides excellent wind/rain protection.  the looks take a bit getting used to, but it's function, then form, right??!?!

if form came before function we'd all be riding harleys anyway  :razz:

Always a good fighting point, "function over form". It's a hard call, but there is always a mean (~) to be had. That's probably why I have 4 windscreens and change them per ride :wink: .

Nope. Just reach right under from the bottom with the channel locks. Be carefull not to touch the hot pipes. That's how I do it.

On the '97, no worries about the headers. They all snake way right of the oil filter, don't know about the later models.

You do need to either remove or partially remove the left lower if you want to use channel lock pliers to remove the filter.

Yep, at least without damaging some of the underbelly. Not to mention, with the right tools, it's all but a couple of minutes to take it off.

Also, with all the oil that comes down from the filter when removed, I prefer see where to wipe.

Obby-  

I was just about to sell this little POS Bandit 600S that I somehow traded for. The eBay auction was going to pop this past Saturday.  

So, I thought I'd do the next owner a good deed by lubing the chain. Put the bike up on the centerstand....and.....  

SMASH!!!!!!!!!!  

...down on the right side. $75 of parts are now on order. Auction canceled.  

Glad you didn't hurt yer Bird....  

Craig

Man that sucks! When I felt my tools fall over my head, the first thing I did way turn and look at my bird :shock: . No damage :) . I was to far away. Man... those socket can really move... I was chasing them all the way down my driveway :oops: . Who says a white man can't jump!

Finally figured out what happened. The tool trays all slid open while I was under them (the chest was on an unlevel surface). The weight of the loaded tray turned the whole thing over. What a mess.

Anyways, all well that ends well. My Bird is happy :cycle: , therefore so am I.

I was scroling down to answer your question and you answered it. :roll:

Never open more then 1 drawer at a time on your roll around. VERY top heavy! Glad you and XX OK.

I personally remove the left fairing for access and cleaning/inspection.