CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine Rebuild

runner

You had a stock engine you could build it anyway you wanted....let's say you got it off ebay or craigs list.

How would you build it (reliability is very important...so, it's not drag race engine).

I know I would have it blueprinted...but what is a realistic power goal?

Could it ever be a horsepower contender with an appropriate overbore and head work...or is it not worth the effort?

What's your ideal engine?

(Mines pretty close to stock but it sure would be nice to take out a ZX14 or busa without nitrous or a turbo...is it even possible?

I thought he was talking about rebuilding an XX motor :icon_confused:

Ya me too...

as to the question at hand send a PM to northman. he had a built xx motor and would have much useful info.

I thought he was talking about rebuilding an XX motor :icon_confused:

Ya me too...

as to the question at hand send a PM to Northman. he had a built xx motor and would have much useful info.

Or to R1000 as he has just finished doing a lot of work on his including serious head work and cams :icon_surprised:

I believe it will be very difficult to take out a ZX14 or a Busa on a straight flat out even with some serious mods on the bird, unless you are using a turbo or nitrous. Still, an old Honda CB 750 -72 can easily take them out on any severe twisty road if the driver is more capable :-)

My bird is currently modified with a reworked head and aftermarket cams etc. It pulls more than 150 honest rwhp on the wheel, which in combination with a 16/46-sprocket set makes it quite strong. I have surprised more than one owner of modern sport bikes when they try to overtake after a curve on track and find out the heavy bastard in front pulls stronger and leave them behind.

The cost to make the bird all out stronger than a ZX14R or a Busa will be higher than trading in the bird and buy a used ZX14R or a Busa. You also have to modify the chassi on the bird to cope with the higher power level.

The bird engine is very reliable in stock condition and there is no need for blueprinting to increase reliability unless you are looking for more 160+ rwhp. The most cost effective mods to improve performance are adding a full 4-2-1 system and change sprockets. To climb up on the next level, more than 150 rwhp, you need head work and other cams which will add another $1500, or more.

The pic below is a dyno curve of my bird. The third thin curve on top is the engine in current condition. One can see that it has a healthy low and mid range that makes the bike very strong on twisty roads and track days.

post-3595-1195552088.jpg

Yes Chris just traded to the 14 but his review was modest. IIRC he reviewed the trade up as more of a lateral over his built XX in regards to the motor. He did speak well of the rest of the bike.

Man I wish I could have bought that bike. I would have had to paint it black cause it was that gay blue but great bike.

Hey why isn't he here telling us!

IIRC he reviewed the trade up as more of a lateral over his built XX in regards to the motor

Yeah, but If you knew what he had into that motor, all the advice in this thread makes perfect sense.