CBR1100XX.org Forum

How Bad Stock Forks Really Are

AlphaBird

Hi Guys,

been following the discussion, it seems that RaceTech is virtually without competition out there, though I know of guys who use Ohlins equipment to upgrade their suspension as well.

I'm taking my bike to RaceTech to have it resprung/valved hopefully this week, which'll set me back $AUS1000 ($US620).

On my bike with stock suspension I currently do 2:13 lap times on our local roundabout, hope to reduce to below 2:00 with the new kit.

Phil

---------------

99 SuperBird

98 BMW F650

Phil, that's getting severely ripped off. Where on earth are you taking it??? Stay away from Frank Pons at BikeTek out in Lumeah. Good on the surface, but we've found he's been doing some really shonky stuff in the last year or so. Last I heard Terry Hay was no longer in business. My friends and I are very happy with Nick Dole at Teknik Motorsports out at the base of the mountains. I'm sourcing all my parts through him.

To give you an idea of costs, I bought the full SuspensionTech valves and Eibach springs and it cost me only A$450 in round numbers (add 10% for GST). That grand you are paying is waaaay over the top. At $60/hr, that's 8 hours of labour you're being charged for. For a professional shop it should not cost you any more than 2 hours of labour, 3 if you are dropping the bike in for them to take the forks out of. When I first was looking to do my VTR, the max price quoted to me was $720 and that was everything replaced - pistons, valves, springs, polishing the forks etc.

• 4 months later...
Keith, I don't think I'd do it.  You'd be way too stiff on the rebound for the stock springs, so the forks would pump down and screw up the geometry over a sequence of bumps, possibly bottom out in a turn (which would really fuck you up).  I'd keep the stock oil with the stock springs.

SwampNut, I just serviced my front forks. (Removed, Disasembled, Cleaned, Inspected) I went to the honda dealer and asked for the correct fork fluid and they gave me 10w fork oil. I ride tomorrow. I found out later that the book calls for SS 8w oil. What should I look out for. Am I going to have problems? Thanks for helping in advance.

H2