CBR1100XX.org Forum

Scottoiler oil

texasplumr

What oil do you all use in your Scottoilers? I've used all the oil that Rich gave me with the bike and want to know if anybody is using something besides what Scottoiler recommends. Would be nice to just go to the auto parts store and pick some up. I have some gear oil on the shelf but figured i'd ask before I did that in case I was screwing up somehow.

Thanks!

Russ

I believe there are a couple of threads floating around on this issue, but I have been using 30 wt. motor oil and it works great for me. It took me a while to get the system leaned out to avoid excess fling-off but it was worth the effort.... a nice clean shiny well oiled chain.

If you change it from what it was originally set up for, you will be essentially starting over.

I've always just used the Scotoiler oil, it's not expensive, and available from Aerostich:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Scotto...ls-p-19080.html

2 bottles would last you a year. Considering you're in Texas, you may want to use the high temp oil instead of the regular variety.

Gear oil will be way too thick, you'd want something about 30 wt would be my guess.

There are some folks that use chainsaw oil but I've always found that it's easier to just order a couple bottles each year

from www.riderstation.com

Product ID: S.5L

Traditional ScottOil (0.5 liter + spout) Details

The genuine traditional Scottoil

Price: $9.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product ID: S.5LH

Hi Temp ScottOil (0.5 liter + spout) Details

Hi Temp Scottoil for those in Hot States where the heat thins the oil & increases flow rate.

Price: $9.99