CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Adjusting Question

SLyFoXX

My '03 (original, no spacer, OEM shock) sits on both the side stand and the center stand with the rear suspension fully extended. Thus, no difference when adjusting the chain.

How would a swing arm stand cause the suspension to load enough to compress the shock spring with no rider aboard?

I would tension the chain so that it's within spec, as the swing arm stand should be fairly close to what it is on the sidestand such that swing arm is not hanging low or overly compressed.

When Adjusting your chain when using a swing arm stand, do you; adjust it slightly tighter, looser or the same?

I am thinking slightly tighter.

Slightly looser than the spec would be since once rider weight and that is added it will put tension on the chain.

Slightly looser than the spec would be since once rider weight and that is added it will put tension on the chain.

That's what "spec" is designed to compensate for. As the rear suspension compresses, the chain will get tighter. So, if you usually adjust it on the centerstand (suspension fully extended) you'd want to go slightly tighter with it on the side or rear stand (suspension minimally compressed), as the swingarm will theoretically be partially through the motion that tightens the chain. That said, I agree with Fixxation above- most XXs I've seen sit topped out or very close to it when on the sidestand or a swingarm stand. Give the rear grab rail a tug upward and see how little it moves- not enough to require compensation when adjusting the chain, IMO.

But if you must compensate one way or the other, you'd want to go a hair tighter.

That's what "spec" is designed to compensate for. As the rear suspension compresses, the chain will get tighter. So, if you usually adjust it on the centerstand (suspension fully extended) you'd want to go slightly tighter with it on the side or rear stand (suspension minimally compressed), as the swingarm will theoretically be partially through the motion that tightens the chain. That said, I agree with Fixxation above- most XXs I've seen sit topped out or very close to it when on the sidestand or a swingarm stand. Give the rear grab rail a tug upward and see how little it moves- not enough to require compensation when adjusting the chain, IMO.

But if you must compensate one way or the other, you'd want to go a hair tighter.

+1

+1