CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another chain question.

OZDave

I fitted the new DID ZVM2 chain and new sprockets today with my new Motion Pro Jumbo tool. The press plate did not press both ends on evenly so I did both ends separately a little at a time, taking measurements all the time. Being basically retarded (blinder of a headache) I managed to over press one end too much by about sightly less than a 1/2 millimeter compared to the adjacent plates. I could find no way to pull the plate back out so I peened the rivet, aligned the chain with the motion pro chain aligner, took some drugs and went to bed.

Now I am awake and it bothers me. :icon_confused:

The chain link is not tight at all and moves freely. SHOULD I REPLACE IT? I do have a spare, but I don't want to. (too lazy)

Interesting Notes:

The swingarm marks have little relationship with the correctly aligned chain. The Alignment Tool was checked on an accurate straight edge at work. It is accurate. I had to purchase a section of 4mm rod from a hobby shop for $5 because the supplied rod is too short to be usefull.

The chain has been very well maintained for the second half of it's life with a Pro-Oiler, and the first half with regular spray lubricants. (every 1000 ks or so)

The replaced front sprocket has visible wear after only 33,000 kms. The rear had less obvious wear but I would not consider using the 'two chain to one set of sprockets' theory after looking at them.

Any opinions, comments ect, welcomed.

I would not replace the master link if it still moves as freely as any other link. I would follow it up though and make sure it stays OK. The master link side plate might even locate correctly when you have used the bike some.

I would not replace the master link if it still moves as freely as any other link. I would follow it up though and make sure it stays OK. The master link side plate might even locate correctly when you have used the bike some.

That's what I was hoping people would say. Thanks for the reassurance.

In the manual, there is a spec for the pressed diameter of the riveted pins. It will be different than the factory-riveted pins.

Also, I replaced the chain and FRONT sprocket at 23,000 miles, and went with a DID ZVM2 and an AFAM 18T front, with the original stock rear. That chain was still good (it JUUUUST needed its first adjustment, and I'm very meticulous about chain slack. Most people would have even left it) at 27,500 MILES when I replaced it. I just used the Honda blue-can white graphite spary lube, and never once cleaned the chain. This last time, I replaced both sprockets when I did the chain. You are supposed to replace the front when you do the chain, but some people do the "2-chains to a REAR sprocket.

Mike

Thanks for the comments Bartonmd,

I replaced the rear sprocket with a JT. I wish I had got a sunstar or an OEM, they just look to be better quality to me. (no evidence, just an opinion) The rear had a little side wear/polishing from the chain running against one side so I replaced it. The teeth didn't look too bad but they did have strange polish pattern in the gully of the teeth but that may have been because of the stretched chain not sitting directly in the bottom of the sprocket. It was in much better condition than the front.

I still haven't had a chance to ride the thing yet. I am hoping for a much quieter ride.