CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hawkeoiler Installed

XX

Success! last weekend i installed my hawkeoiler, pretty much a rip off of the way Warchild did his ( www.superblackbird.com ) but routed the tubing across the swingarm a little differently (thanks man!)

I would recommend highly to any of those doing a regular commute daily, especially in weather other than straight daily sunshine!

I'm using mobil 1 synthetic 75W axle gear oil as the loob. I will admit, i do get a little splash. i push the button about once every 15-20 miles which equates to almost 10 times per day for me.

Interestingly, the splash i get is black, black black. And SOMETIMES after I park, at the end of the day (or in the morning) there is a little drainage off my swingarm at the end (I'll put the pics on my profie page) of the same black black black. My theory is that the chain is actually getting a cleaning, daily - because the mobile 1 oil is almost a clear color when it goes on :shock: - and it's gotta be draining somewhere... hopefully on the too close cagers behind me!

Two concerns, i'm oiling only on one side of the chain with the spout, and Warchild recommended the Scottoiler double ended spout to cure this.

Secondly, it doesn't leave much of a protective coat on the outside of the chain, but I used my belray spray loob (white) and just put a coat on last weekend to cure any chance of rust.

I got 29k lucky miles out of my last chain, the autoOiler companies claim you can double the life of your chain with their product :shock: we'll see... that means 58k miles for this chain!!!....

Also have HawkeOiler installed since bike new and now have 17k plus.

1. Chain adjusted at 600 miles by me and by Mac at 7.7k as a byproduct when he changed tires on his new tire changing thingy. Just inspected, no tight spots or kinks, very clean and looks/feels to be in very good condition. Chains in past were toast b4 this mileage w considerably less hp tugging on the chain.

2. Using Mobil1 85w-90. Same thing here, comes off black even though M1 is a very clean looking translucent light brown. I hit button twice about every 50 miles as I slow to park at work for last 200' or when slowing down on trips. I get very little fling off, more use than that starts causing excess fling. I've noticed drops on cement where i park in same place everyday. Agree w your black theory, it's cleaning sh!t outta of the chain.

3. Regarding dual side injector, i have the same thoughts, it would improve an already excellent system. I'm looking at the dual side injector on the www.loobman.com system that looks to be doeable, esp. the mounting system.

Warchild, u can jump in anytime. How did the Scottoiler dual thingy work for dispensing oil and how hard was it to mount?

WC,

did you just buy the Scottoiler Dual Injector and use it as-is without any special mount? I also like the modification of adding an in-line checkvalve - very nice touch...do you have a manufacturer name/part number for it still? Thanks!

Jim

WC,  

did you just buy the Scottoiler Dual Injector and use it as-is without any special mount?

Correct. I'll try to snap off a few photos for you....

I also like the modification of adding an in-line checkvalve - very nice touch...do you have a manufacturer name/part number for it still? Thanks!

ACK!! The little white check valve should have been in your Hawkeoiler kit! If it wasn't you need to email John Laurenson (Hawke) and tell him to send you one!

i got one with mine :grin: Warchild is correct... i'm sure they'll send yah one

p.s. would love to see those pics too! hey, what part# is the double ended dohickey?

OK, due to popular demand :grin: here be the Scottoiler dual-tip despenser, installed:

dual-tip.jpg

To give you an idea of the job it does.... this chain has approximately 11,000 miles on it, and I've never had to adjust it. And just look at those side plates... almost clean enough to eat off of! :twisted:

Great pic WC, mucho thanks, definitely a nice solid simple mounting. Gotta git dat on order.

Can I ass/u/me that the clear tubing from Hawkeoiler mates w Scottoiler Dual Injector without any conversions or jury rigging?

little white check valve

I don't remember that, exactly what is it's purpose in life and what does it look like? I bought my Hawkeoiler in July '02, so do u think it was included?

:grin: This is a fantastic board for getting great ideas and installing them the right way the 1st time (alias ez way). The pics and instructions are always informative. Warchild gets a special atta'boy on his many contributions, again WC, mucho thanks!!! :grin:

Warchild,

Where did you get the scottoiler thingy.. and what is the part#? i want to get one and do the mod ;o)

bhanxx,

the little white things, as far as i know, is the check valve, below:

fadadc41.jpg

Here's a pic from www.superblackbird.com :

oil_line_routing1.jpg

and another of my bike:

fadadc30.jpg

seems spendy for the parts, if that's the actual item, i bet it comes with the hinged doohicky and mounts straps complete....

i wonder if they have a distributor locally?

Dave,

yeah, sure seems like a lot...I found a (maybe the only)... US distributor of Scottoiler and, with shipping, it would be about $51... :shock: ...currently checking with JAWS to see what kind of deal might be available from there... :???: I haven't bought the Hawkeoiler yet, but isn't it somewhere reasonably priced, by comparison, around $145?

Jim