CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam timing Tensioner

sr71cbr1100xx

I took my bike in to get the Jaws springs and rear spacer put in and the mechanic said that my Cam Timing Tensioner was sounding at around 3K . told me that I should get it done next time I bring my bike in to do the Valve Adjustments at around 25K as those have never been done and I am at 19,000 miles currently.

I asked him if the CTT is hard to install and he told me that I shouldn't do it as the proper way is to take the Cam Cover off and if you don't the cams may move and the timing will be off when you take the tensioner off.

I have okay mechanical skill and wondering if I can do the CTT myself. Is it easy to change without screwing up the timing of the cams?

Thanks

Scott

Anyone can change the CCT (or more correctly the CCT lifter), it's literally easier than changing your oil. My eight year old daughter could do it with a small amount of guidance.

Find a new mechanic who's less full of shit, and do the CCT yourself.

CCT is under $36.00 shipped anywhere in the States, Priority Mail. 2 - 3 day delivery

I have them in stock now and come complete with a new gasket and new allen bolts.

Just don't remove the "key" before installation.

Under 30 minutes to change if you have two left hands ! Under 10 minutes to change for some.

X-11 CCT's have not been available for a couple years now since Joe did the group buy, to my knowledge.

you cant screw the timing up just by replacing the cct unless you leave it off.

Are you sure he didnt say cam timing sensor (for the EFI) ? This would be something completly different, obviously not a typical pre-ventive maintence repair.

Thanks - you guys are awesome. Thank you John for returning my call - it was a pleasure to talk to you.

Ordered from your site and am looking forward to getting those marbles out of the engine at 3K :icon_lol:

It is one of the few issues with BlackBird Ownership. A very small price to pay for such a reliable Hyper speed bike.

Mailed out today Priority Mail so you will receive it by Friday.

I looked in the Honda Manual under the Cam Chain Tensioner Lifer Removal and it states that one needs to turn the tensioner shaft fully in a clockwise insert a stopper tool to prevent damaging the cam chain???? Only then do they say remove the bolts and sealing washers and cam chain tensioner lifter.

I am kinda confused as I am worried about damaging the cam chain. Please help

Thanks

Scott

I looked in the Honda Manual under the Cam Chain Tensioner Lifer Removal and it states that one needs to turn the tensioner shaft fully in a clockwise insert a stopper tool to prevent damaging the cam chain???? Only then do they say remove the bolts and sealing washers and cam chain tensioner lifter.

Thanks

Scott

Follow this ... don't bother with the manual it must make things harder than they are

Only thing I'd say do to different is while the CCT is on the bike loosen the 8mm bolt installed at the very top of the CCT before you remove it. Makes it easier to take out once the CCT is off the bike.

Thanks

Scott

Follow this ... don't bother with the manual it must make things harder than they are

Yeah that manual sure complicates things - Stopper tool -WTF? Anyways it was not hard except for cleaning the gasket residue off. Took it out after work with the new CCT and I lost all my marbles at 3000rpm - very smooth now.

Thanks

Scott