CBR1100XX.org Forum

Regular Diablos REALLY tall??

bartonmd

OK, so I put the standard Diablo on the rear yesterday... The one that I got with the front as a pair for $159 from cyclegear, or whoever was running that smoking deal awhile back... It's seriously 1/2" taller than the Powers or the Diablo Strada I had before... I have always been able to get my finger between the back tire and the ground when the bike's on the center stand (about 1/2" off the ground). With this tire, even on the level part of my garage, the tire is still touching the ground when on the center stand...

These may be a slightly different profile than the regular, regular Diablos, because I remember reading something in the add of the clearance that these had a special profile for Buell bikes, and were the OE replacement.

Anyway, because of this, there is NO WAY I can get my hugger to fit! I fuckin' tore the garage apart yesterday afternoon looking for my stock chain guard with no luck, too... I think, at least for this tire, I'm going to do the stock chain guard (If I can find one for cheap, or find mine), and to keep the shit off the shock, probably do a flap hanging from the battery box, kindof like dirt bikes do.

Has anybody else had this kind of thing happen with these tires?

Thanks,

Mike

I noted the exact same thing. In fact, I had to remove my hugger because the tire rubbed it.

It seemed odd to me, I mean, a 180/55 is a 180/55, right? Why would it be taller? I noticed

that when on the center stand there was barely a 1/4" of clearance above the ground. Those

Diablos wore out pretty fast (about 3000 miles) and I now have a set of my usual tire (Pilot

Roads) on there and was able to put the hugger back on. Weird to say the least.

Maybe that's why they were on sale ? Manufacturing spec's may have been a tad bit off ?

Na, they said on them that they are a special fast cornering profile for the Buell bikes... Sounded like an OEM replacement version of the Diablo for Buell...

Brett,

I'm shimmed in the rear, also, and even with the Diablo Strada tires and Powers, I could still just barely get my finger under the rear tire when on the center stand... no such luck with these guys... I will say, though, that they DO steer pretty quickly, and are a more similar profile to the Pilot Power than the Diablo Stradas I've had the last couple sets, or the past diablos I'd seen on peoples' bikes...

Mike

As you suggest, a greater section section height (vertical distance from the edge to the crown) should quicken the steering. A really smart engineer could probably figure out how it affects the speedometer.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny story:

when I started with my actual ship, early this year, I made a display for my tires to make the visual for the visitors.

Picture a tilted wall, with sets of tires stickingout of it for about 1/3 of the tire.

This dispaly can be moved because I also needed it for the bike-shows. I used a set of Michelin Pilot Powers for measurements. All 180/55ZR17 and 120/70ZR17 tires are the same size, right?

I finished it 2 days before the show started, so I didn't bother putting the tires in there (to heavy to transport).

When I arrived on the show the morning it started, I tried to fit the tires, but no way (not by a long way).....

I had to borrow a electric saw to quickly make the holes bigger. Some had to be made more than 1 Inch bigger, because the tire also stick sout more to the front....

Now my great display is no longer perfect (I have to re-do the front covers), but it works. I will never make the mistake thinking all sizes are the same....

Funny story:

when I started with my actual ship, early this year, I made a display for my tires to make the visual for the visitors.

Picture a tilted wall, with sets of tires stickingout of it for about 1/3 of the tire.

This dispaly can be moved because I also needed it for the bike-shows. I used a set of Michelin Pilot Powers for measurements. All 180/55ZR17 and 120/70ZR17 tires are the same size, right?

I finished it 2 days before the show started, so I didn't bother putting the tires in there (to heavy to transport).

When I arrived on the show the morning it started, I tried to fit the tires, but no way (not by a long way).....

I had to borrow a electric saw to quickly make the holes bigger. Some had to be made more than 1 Inch bigger, because the tire also stick sout more to the front....

Now my great display is no longer perfect (I have to re-do the front covers), but it works. I will never make the mistake thinking all sizes are the same....

The sizes are the same, it is the profile that is different.

Funny story:

These are definately taller than any of my past tires... Always, on a new tire, there was ~1/2" or so between the tire and the floor on the center stand, but with these (no other changes), I can't spin the tire when it's on the center stand, unless I put a piece of wood under the stand.

Mike

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The numbers of the sizes are the same, the rim diameter is the same, but the height and width of these tires differ (a lot).

I did measure them to be sure, but it's not just the thickness of the rubber, it's the overall geometry.....