CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need new rear tire...

bpg

(Editted):

Been pretty happy with the Metz M1 front/Z6 rear combo for the past couple of tire changes, but curious about feedback on the Metz M3, Bridgestone BT021, and Michelin Pilot Road 2...

I ride a lot of freeway miles (touring and commuting 5 days/week, 50 mile round-trip), but also treat the XX like a repli-racer at least 2-3 weekends a month in the NC mountains :icon_evilgrin:Very happy with the Z6 grip, never had it slip, even when I thought fer damn sure it would :icon_whistle: .

I get about 6K consistently from the Z6, which always need replaced b/c of center wear... Truly, that's my only complaint about them (I know, attributable to all the highway miles I do).

SO:

1) Would the PR 2 offer a little more center tread wear w/ the Bird, and still have killer side grip?

2) Can the Z3 last as long as a Z6 on a Bird (guessing not, but figured I'd ask)?

3) How does the BT021 compare to the Z-6, and the PR 2 for that matter?

3) Any concerns with running either with my M1 front (which I LOVE for even, long-term wear and killer grip)?

thx!

Can't help with the comparisons because I haven't tried the other tyres but I'm very happy with the PR 2's. I have them front and rear and they do stick right over to where hard things start scraping. They also seem to be lasting very well. The original PR's seem to handle very slow. The PR 2's seem to handle like Powers (much faster side to side) but last like the original PR's. Love them!

I just installed my 5th set of Shinko 009's - $179.90 delivered for the pair from Tire Express. (Includes $12 frt.) Front tire mileage is equal to Avon's but I get an extra 1500 miles out of the rear than I did with the Avons. Grip is as good as the Avons, even in the rain. Only issue with them is the front cups out no matter what air pressure I run. After 7500 miles it still has plenty of tread, but the buzzing in corners gets annoying. Best thing is their cost, or lack thereof.

I recently put the new Bridgeston 021 on my Triumph Speed Triple---it still has a Metzler MEZ4 up front. The Z4 rear was almost the same profile and tread pattern as the Pilot Road which I have run on the Bird. The 021 turns in quicker for sure, sticks well and should last since they are a duel compound tire.

I decided to give it a try since the 020 that came stock on my ST1300 lasted better than any tire since (though I am running z6 Front 880 rear now and that combo looks like it might exceed the previous record for me) Also, the new C14 comes stock with the 021----whatever you choose----happy trails kel

I just installed my 5th set of Shinko 009's - $179.90 delivered for the pair from Tire Express. (Includes $12 frt.) Front tire mileage is equal to Avon's but I get an extra 1500 miles out of the rear than I did with the Avons. Grip is as good as the Avons, even in the rain. Only issue with them is the front cups out no matter what air pressure I run. After 7500 miles it still has plenty of tread, but the buzzing in corners gets annoying. Best thing is their cost, or lack thereof.

hmm - which Avons are is the Shinko grip as good as? I'm not Rossi by a long shot, but love to lay the bike down on Dragon-like roads all day long.. I just don't want to lay it ALL the way down, LOL!

No dry slippage whatsoever??

I recently put the new Bridgeston 021 on my Triumph Speed Triple---it still has a Metzler MEZ4 up front. The Z4 rear was almost the same profile and tread pattern as the Pilot Road which I have run on the Bird. The 021 turns in quicker for sure, sticks well and should last since they are a duel compound tire.

I decided to give it a try since the 020 that came stock on my ST1300 lasted better than any tire since (though I am running z6 Front 880 rear now and that combo looks like it might exceed the previous record for me) Also, the new C14 comes stock with the 021----whatever you choose----happy trails kel

So does it stick more like a Power or a road? Bike came with Roads, hated 'em because they couldn't provide the grip I wanted.

M1/Z6 solved that, but just looking for a bit more center tread wear, with the same (or better!!) grip..

thanks!

"hmm - which Avons are is the Shinko grip as good as?

Avon 45/46 combo - ran 3 sets of those, too. I found no difference in grip between those and the 009's. I did try a Pilot Road on the rear, but it slipped all over the place. A buddy had a similar experience with his, and it turned out that the build dates on our tires were 2 weeks apart. I think we just ran into a couple of bad tires because those were the only two times I've heard of Roads slipping in corners. But, I can't believe we're the only two people who had that problem.....

"I'm not Rossi by a long shot, but love to lay the bike down on Dragon-like roads all day long.. I just don't want to lay it ALL the way down, LOL!"

Me neither. Been there, screw that. :icon_naughty:

Been pretty happy with the Metz M1 front/Z6 rear combo for the past couple of tire changes, but curious about feedback on the Z3 and PR 2...

I ride a lot of freeway miles (touring and commuting 5 days/week, 50 mile round-trip), but also treat the XX like a repli-racer at least 2-3 weekends a month in the NC mountains :icon_evilgrin:Very happy with the Z6 grip, never had it slip, even when I thought fer damn sure it would :icon_whistle: .

I get about 6K consistently from the Z6, which always need replaced b/c of center wear... Truly, that's my only complaint about them (I know, attributable to all the highway miles I do).

SO:

1) Would the PR 2 offer a little more center tread wear w/ the Bird, and still have killer side grip?

2) Can the Z3 last as long as a Z6 on a Bird (guessing not, but figured I'd ask)?

3) Any concerns with running either with my M1 front?

thx!

I sell all of these in my shop, and I'm guessing you mean the Sportec M-3 (and not Z-3)......

The Z-3 provides the most grip of these 3 tires, much like MPP. The big difference is that the carcass is stiffer/stronger. This makes the bike more stabile at high speeds, but also more uncomfortable on bad roads....

The MPR2 has a little less grip, but gives you more miles and more comfort.

The Roadtec Z-6 gives you even more miles, but a lttle less grip than the MPR2. It is also a harder, more uncomfortable ride....

Your choice depends on what is most important for you, they are all three very good tires....

Been pretty happy with the Metz M1 front/Z6 rear combo for the past couple of tire changes, but curious about feedback on the Z3 and PR 2...

SO:

3) Any concerns with running either with my M1 front?

thx!

I sell all of these in my shop, and I'm guessing you mean the Sportec M-3 (and not Z-3)......

The Z-3 provides the most grip of these 3 tires, much like MPP. The big difference is that the carcass is stiffer/stronger. This makes the bike more stabile at high speeds, but also more uncomfortable on bad roads....

The MPR2 has a little less grip, but gives you more miles and more comfort.

The Roadtec Z-6 gives you even more miles, but a lttle less grip than the MPR2. It is also a harder, more uncomfortable ride....

Your choice depends on what is most important for you, they are all three very good tires....

So in the cases you've seen, the Z-6 gets more miles than the PR 2?? :icon_neutral: Thought I'd read otherwise in the few accounts of its durability that exist so far, just trying to (very unscientifically!) project that into how much more (or less if that's the case!) miles I could get out of a PR 2 versus a Z6 on a Blackbird... Realizing, of course, the numerous variables that come into play! :icon_biggrin:

So in the cases you've seen, the Z-6 gets more miles than the PR 2?? :icon_neutral: Thought I'd read otherwise in the few accounts of its durability that exist so far, just trying to (very unscientifically!) project that into how much more (or less if that's the case!) miles I could get out of a PR 2 versus a Z6 on a Blackbird... Realizing, of course, the numerous variables that come into play! :icon_biggrin:

When mounted on a heavy bike (like the XX) the Z-6 lasts longer than the MPR2 (riding agressively).

On a lighter bike you'll find the opposite to be true.

I guess due to the weight the stiffer tire will not heat up as much as the less stiffer tire.....