CBR1100XX.org Forum

Do I have the CCT issue...? Or something else?

JamesXX

I'm wondering if these two things are connected:

I've been getting a progressively-worse vibration on my 2003 XX, almost exclusively on the right-hand side (footpeg and bar). It is most pronounced around 3000-5000 rpm (the natural harmonic frequency of the motor, I read somewhere around here). All engine mounting bolts, exhaust, etc. have been tightened, but it hasn't gone away. It's a very high-frequency vibration too, in that it doesn't thud or pulse, but the type that will numb your wrists after a while.

There's also something like a rattling, clumsy noise to the engine at idle which I always thought came from the clutch, as it only happens when the clutch is out. Is the clutch on the XX known for this? Anyone else have these issues?

I didn't think it possible that the CCT rattle would somehow be affected by the clutch... But it could maybe cause the vibration. I think.

Bike has only around 5000 miles on it. Engine block never been opened (that I know of - bought it with 1200 miles!).

Any ideas? Thanks, all!

I've been getting a progressively-worse vibration on my 2003 XX, almost exclusively on the right-hand side (footpeg and bar). It is most pronounced around 3000-5000 rpm (the natural harmonic frequency of the motor, I read somewhere around here). All engine mounting bolts, exhaust, etc. have been tightened, but it hasn't gone away. It's a very high-frequency vibration too, in that it doesn't thud or pulse, but the type that will numb your wrists after a while.

There's also something like a rattling, clumsy noise to the engine at idle which I always thought came from the clutch, as it only happens when the clutch is out. Is the clutch on the XX known for this? Anyone else have these issues?

I didn't think it possible that the CCT rattle would somehow be affected by the clutch... But it could maybe cause the vibration. I think.

Bike has only around 5000 miles on it. Engine block never been opened (that I know of - bought it with 1200 miles!).

Any ideas? Thanks, all!

Sounds like two different things... The clutch is quite heavy duty, it does make some odd noises while idling with the clutch out, pulling the clutch in gets rid of this. If this happens it's normal.

the CCT going never put vibrations in the bars for me but I never let it get really bad. Normally it does kinda sound like marbles rolling around. I'd replace the CCT as they are cheep and easy to see if the problem goes away. Check the For Sale Section John usually has a thread in there going for sale, he's about the cheapest place to get one.

Any ideas? Thanks, all!

Sounds like two different things... The clutch is quite heavy duty, it does make some odd noises while idling with the clutch out, pulling the clutch in gets rid of this. If this happens it's normal.

the CCT going never put vibrations in the bars for me but I never let it get really bad. Normally it does kinda sound like marbles rolling around. I'd replace the CCT as they are cheep and easy to see if the problem goes away. Check the For Sale Section John usually has a thread in there going for sale, he's about the cheapest place to get one.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

My 1997 with 38,000 miles has developed the exact same problem. Vibes at only the right side peg and grip. At speed if I pull in the clutch and coast the vibes go away. I changed the CCT with no change at all. I have a 4 into 1 pipe on it and thought the vibes were being transmitted through the muffler mount so I isolated it with an extra rubber washer with no change. I am hoping someone here has some info for us.