CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB - Fairings, tank, foot peg, brake lever, etc.

Got a black '99 that I just picked up which is rather cosmetically challenged. All of the fairings have some [ahem] beauty marks on them, some can be salvaged, some not. Depending upon what parts are available, their condition, and prices, I may either get some painter parts and repaint the thing. Or, if I can get some nice condition black panels I'll just piece it back together without a repaint (which is more than fine with me). There are a few other bits that I need for the bike as well. So here's the list (after one day of ownership and pawing around the bike for an afternoon/evening):

-Upper fairing - mine is beat and needs to be replaced

-Right & Left lowers - neither of mine are good, but possible painters with some plastic welding & body work I suppose (which doesn't thrill me)

-Tank

-Tailsection - mine just has a few scratches & isn't bad (more than fine for a repaint), I would only want a really nice one of these and really only if I'm able to get some other nice black pieces such that I don't need to do a repaint

-Tank Bra - would like one of these to cover up the dents in my tank, nothing fancy here, cheap is good!

-Right driver footpeg (w/ feeler)

-Brake lever - mine is bent like the toes of a Munchkin's shoes

-Right bar/clip-on - screw for bar end is busted off in mine and the few threads I can see look totally stripped out, not sure if I can salvage mine or not yet

-Bracket piece (and screw) that right lower fairing mounts to towards the back bottom corner (I think there's a bracket that is supposed to mount to the back of the frame (???) that the fairing mounting bolt screws into - I ain't got one)

-Owners Manual

-FASTENERS!!! I'm missing most all of the fasteners for the fairings & windscreen, so if someone's got some (parts bike???), I could use 'em.

I'll probably think of or find more that I need, but that's a good enough list to start with. Thanks all. :icon_dance:

I have a silver tank with a dent in the top. I also have a like color left lower wth a small scratch by the top rear bolt hole. I can take pics, but you will have to wait until Thursday, as they are in my storage unit.

I have a silver tank with a dent in the top. I also have a like color left lower wth a small scratch by the top rear bolt hole. I can take pics, but you will have to wait until Thursday, as they are in my storage unit.

Cool. Pics would help. You can send them in a PM if you like. Thanks.

Bracket piece (and screw) that right lower fairing mounts to towards the back bottom corner (I think there's a bracket that is supposed to mount to the back of the frame (???) that the fairing mounting bolt screws into - I ain't got one)

After looking at photos of your bike, the "bracket" you're missing, isn't a bracket per se. Rather the right lower cowling bolts to a tab on the oil pan, or rather it used to. The tab breaks off easily. Several members, myself included, are missing the tab. You have to replace the oil pan to get that tab. The cowling secures just fine without it.

Bracket piece (and screw) that right lower fairing mounts to towards the back bottom corner (I think there's a bracket that is supposed to mount to the back of the frame (???) that the fairing mounting bolt screws into - I ain't got one)

After looking at photos of your bike, the "bracket" you're missing, isn't a bracket per se. Rather the right lower cowling bolts to a tab on the oil pan, or rather it used to. The tab breaks off easily. Several members, myself included, are missing the tab. You have to replace the oil pan to get that tab. The cowling secures just fine without it.

My tab isn't missing.

It's in the top left drawer of my tool box :icon_doh:

Yes, that tab is broken off as well, but that's not the bracket I'm referring to. I'm talking about the one that is almost right across from the oil fill cap that the black plastic insert piece mounts too. I can feel a small hole on the backside of the frame where the missing little bracket mounts to (plus I can see a bit of the bracket on BPG's 'Bird).

As for the busted oil pan tab, has anyone successfully tried reattaching the broken off tab (I've still got the tab in hand) with a JB Weld, or epoxy type product? I've no interest in replacing the pan (especially if the fairing will hold fine w/o this mounting point), but figured I might give it a go with such a product while I'm fiddling about.

Yes, that tab is broken off as well, but that's not the bracket I'm referring to. I'm talking about the one that is almost right across from the oil fill cap that the black plastic insert piece mounts too. I can feel a small hole on the backside of the frame where the missing little bracket mounts to (plus I can see a bit of the bracket on BPG's 'Bird).

As for the busted oil pan tab, has anyone successfully tried reattaching the broken off tab (I've still got the tab in hand) with a JB Weld, or epoxy type product? I've no interest in replacing the pan (especially if the fairing will hold fine w/o this mounting point), but figured I might give it a go with such a product while I'm fiddling about.

I tried to JB weld mine. It broke off again almost immediatly.

I tried to JB weld mine. It broke off again almost immediatly.

Ahhh, well I guess mine can remain unlost in the drawer of my tool chest as well. :icon_neutral:

Thanks though.

I tried to JB weld mine. It broke off again almost immediately.

Hey Brett, I thought I read something about a Harley rider using JB Weld to seal some oil leak on his bike, maybe you should PM him for some tips on how to properly use this product??? Al tho he did do a few thousand in dammage to his bike so maybe that's not a good idea

I tried to JB weld mine. It broke off again almost immediately.

Hey Brett, I thought I read something about a Harley rider using JB Weld to seal some oil leak on his bike, maybe you should PM him for some tips on how to properly use this product??? Al tho he did do a few thousand in dammage to his bike so maybe that's not a good idea

Yeah how about that tool :icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...