CBR1100XX.org Forum

My Reg/Rec

jblackbird2000

Ok, so I'm back with more charging issues. I've finally had enough, and I'm going to be replacing my R/R. But as you can see from the pic, it's not the standard R/R that some 99/00 birds have, that's why I was so hesitant to replace it. But finally, I'm not getting any charge to the battery, even though the Stator is putting out about 50VAC at 5K rpm.

Ok, so take a look at this R/R and tell me I'm not crazy. Everybody else that's posted pics only has one plug, why does mine have two?

And more importantly, if I were to go get the 99 R1 R/R and the pigtail from Mike (bartonmd), how the hell would I tell him to wire it? Is that even an option for me?

post-1983-1186519173.jpg

Jay

Ok, so I'm back with more charging issues. I've finally had enough, and I'm going to be replacing my R/R. But as you can see from the pic, it's not the standard R/R that some 99/00 birds have, that's why I was so hesitant to replace it. But finally, I'm not getting any charge to the battery, even though the Stator is putting out about 50VAC at 5K rpm.

Ok, so take a look at this R/R and tell me I'm not crazy. Everybody else that's posted pics only has one plug, why does mine have two?

And more importantly, if I were to go get the 99 R1 R/R and the pigtail from Mike (bartonmd), how the hell would I tell him to wire it? Is that even an option for me?

post-1983-1186519173.jpg

Jay

It looks just like a '99 - '00 R/R to me. Mine has two connectors too. One (three yellow) goes to the Stator and the other goes into the wiring harness. The ones you see with one connector are either a '97 - '98 R/R or the Yamaha replacement that many of us are using. Go see the R/R harness thread in the Sales section... Lots of pics.

It looks just like a '99 - '00 R/R to me. Mine has two connectors too. One (three yellow) goes to the Stator and the other goes into the wiring harness. The ones you see with one connector are either a '97 - '98 R/R or the Yamaha replacement that many of us are using. Go see the R/R harness thread in the Sales section... Lots of pics.

Ah. I guess it would be helpful to read into the 2nd and 3rd pages. So I guess I need the same one you're getting.

Cool, thanks.

I am to understand that the FI models all have two plugs,

I have no idea, but my guess would probably be yes. I'm still trying to get my head around all of this.

Jay

EDITED TO ADD: Upon further scrutiny, I still don't see all 8 wires like I have in any of the pics in the R/R harness for sale section, but I have a PM into Mike now. You have two green, two red/white and one black wire too? I only see spots for 6 pins in the connector. :icon_think:

The ones you see with one connector are either a '97 - '98 R/R or the Yamaha replacement that many of us are using. Go see the R/R harness thread in the Sales section... Lots of pics.

The 97-98 dont even have a plug coming off the RR just a "female" socket for the plug on the loom :icon_think:

All the FI models have (2) plugs...

The '99-2000 models have the short leads with 2 plugs, which include:

(3) stator wires in one connector

In the other connector, there are:

(2) red "+B" wires

(2) green "ground" wires

(1) "turn the R/R off while starting bike" black wire. The R1 R/R does not use this, so it will not be connected.

The '01 and later models have the R/R mounted on the right side of the bike, and have the 33" leads from the R/R to get back over to the left side of the bike where the connectors are. The plugs are the same as the earlier FI models...

Mike

Excellent, thanks for the reply Mike. I was just concerned that I had a few extra wires than I had previously seen posted, and wanted to make sure I wasn't going down a road with the R1 R/R that couldn't be navigated. Based on your reply, it sounds like I too can switch to the R1 :icon_dance:

Jay

Jay

I had the same problem back in June as I replaced the battery and after a few days the battery would not have enough charge to start the bike. I also had a reading of 50VAC at 5k so I ordered a new R/R and have not had a problem since.